1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

A question for you Des Moines folks.

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by JB, Sep 22, 2008.

1. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Posted By ZLTFUL on 09/27/2008 07:05 AM
    Another thing that has always kind of irked me is the seeming segregation of the clubs individual areas. While I understand that local areas tend to attract reefers from those areas, the seperatism also seems to alienate other areas of the club.
    Fact is, locally, I feel 100% comfortable calling up a member to ask them if I can stop by and take a look at something. On the other hand, last weekend, I was in the other 3 areas of the club and in no way felt comfortable posting up that I was going to be in the area and asking if I could stop by and see some tanks. I kind of feel like we are the proverbial red headed step child of the club that is only welcome when it is convenient (no offense to red heads or step children meant).
    People are always welcome to stop by and check out my tank if I am home but I don't get that same vibe outside of the small group locally...
    That's a bummer. I personally would feel bad if I knew you drove by my house and felt uncomfortable about stopping, while I don't have anything special I've always felt that anyone in the club is always welcome in my house. Next time post a thread, we aren't that scary....althought waverz does bite from time to time.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Another thing that has always kind of irked me is the seeming segregation of the clubs individual areas. While I understand that local areas tend to attract reefers from those areas, the seperatism also seems to alienate other areas of the club.
    Fact is, locally, I feel 100% comfortable calling up a member to ask them if I can stop by and take a look at something. On the other hand, last weekend, I was in the other 3 areas of the club and in no way felt comfortable posting up that I was going to be in the area and asking if I could stop by and see some tanks. I kind of feel like we are the proverbial red headed step child of the club that is only welcome when it is convenient (no offense to red heads or step children meant).
    People are always welcome to stop by and check out my tank if I am home but I don't get that same vibe outside of the small group locally...
    Wow I didnt realize that.
    Anyone from any area can look me up anytime they are in the Wloo area.  (I actually live about 15 miles south of wloo).  I will be more then happy to show anyone my set up (hopefully they will have water in them next month).
    Let me know early enough & we can even throw some steaks on the grill & take the 4 wheelers for a spin.
    Craig

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Des Moines reefers please go to the Des Moines October thread and give your opinions and sign up this months event.
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/10/aft/14502/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#15334

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 09/26/2008 09:19 PM
    BTW, my last post was not meant to be a knock on Ryan. I don't know what he's up to right now and for all I know he's swamped with "life stuff" which happens to everyone.
    Yes, I've been busy and haven't been able to take the time to deal with the club as I should, which I have done and would continue to do despite becoming very frustrated with event turnouts.  We've been lucky to get 1 person to show up for every three that say they'll be somewhere.  The six that attended the pizza party - 1 was me, and 1 I had to call after it had started and convince them to come.  The point of it was to encourage new membership, and it does not look good to people to have 1 actual member aside from the organizer show up to a meeting. 
    Due to my lack of free time I'll be giving up the trustee position, with the plan as of now for jtesdall (thanks Joel) to take it over. 

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's nice to see that the Des Moines people are interested in keeping the club rolling in their area. We still need to find an effective way to market the club to people in central Iowa because there has to be a ton of people over there that have reef tanks.

-JB

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just as a FYI, the club actually originated in Des Moines. 3 of us (Allen, Janna, and Myself) got together on RC and it spread like wild fire. Our first meeting was a tank tour where we had over 20 people attend. Many of them were from the Des Moines area. There are a bunch of people in Des Moines with beautiful tanks. If any of you know Janna from Altoona and you can get her active in the club again I think you will see a huge increase in your area. She is an invaluable source of information and has some amazing tanks. She goes by JSM on RC. When the club was started it was intended to bring people with a similar love of the hobby together. I hate to hear that some feel it is pushing you away. Having been in most of the areas and around as long as I have, I have not met one person that really was unfriendly or unwilling to help out another member. The club is always going to be what YOU make of it and take from it. If YOU do not attend meetings or YOU do not participate in group functions than YOU will feel like the club is dying. If on the other hand, YOU go to the meeting (including those out of your area) and YOU excite others to come to meetings with YOU, YOU will notice that there is excitement and life in your area. Enthusiasm is contagious!!! As you have seen from your tank tour thread.

Keep your chins up and spread the word. Make it a point to get together and try car pooling to other area events. That is the one weak point I have seen from the Des Moines crew. Many do not like to travel. I used to go to every Des Moines event and I was comming from the Quad cities. I did it because the meetings were fun, but the carpooling was GREAT!!! You can pick up so many tips and hear so many stories in 4 hours worth of driving. Try it this November for Fall Fest and I think you will agree!!!

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Excellent points Travis! Since it looks like I am taking over trustee of the area I will see what I can do to get the interest up. I see that Janna just sold a De-Nitrator she got from JJ to one the members already signed up for the tour. Actually he started the tour thread. So Dave, maybe you can email or talk to Janna and see if she is interested in getting involved again. I can always do this if you don't feel comfortable. I have spoke to her on RC a few times.

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    When I first started my tank @ 5 yrs ago there was a really nice Saltwater/Reef store in Altoona.  I bought some of my supplies/livestock there and learned alot from the woman who ran the store.  Then it went out of business.  I think that the woman who ran the store might have been Janna, as the name sounds familiar.  ???? Does anyone know????

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that is her but I was never in there. I have heard it was awesome and that she was great!

10. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    becker: jb is working on getting a member profile on the site in the near future which will allow us to know those things

11. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anytime someone is in Cedar Rapids, we live in Robins...you are welcome to stop by. :)

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Same here, I'm in Marion...

13. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    And you're welcome to stop by my house.(As long as you bring some frags along)

14. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As a newbie to the nano tank field and to this group, I would like to see a few local gatherings or getogethers.Social or business, both can be fun. In the plant forums i belong to we had "Roundups" once a year so people from all over could attend.A potluck lunch, people would bring freebies for the newer people and would have doorprizes or swaps of things(plants) all were happy when they left and everyone had a better idea of Who was Who on the forums.Friendships are forged and things move smoothly. Just an idea. :)

Kyle
    Norwalk

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Kyle and welcome to GIRS! As acting trustee for the Des Moines (and it looks like next years trustee as well) area I would like to let you know a few things from the past since you are new to the group.
    We try to do something about once a month in the Des Moines area, except in the summer months. People just don't have time in the summer and turn out becomes very low. Also, we have tried the local social gatherings but turnout is also quite low. I am more than willing to try again but what has been working best is meeting with a reef purpose.
    Two weeks ago today we had a VERY successful tank tour in the Boone/Des Moines area. I think we had twelve attend. The Tuesday before we had a water chemistry discussion at my office. This was also successful as six attended. In the Des Moines October meeting thread I have posted some ideas for a November meeting. This months meeting though really is Frag Fest for the state wide group. And with Thanksgiving coming right after I think our meeting will be in early December, although I have to be out of town one of those weeks.
    Please take a look at the October thread and give all the input you can muster. I love new ideas.
    Again, welcome to GIRS!