1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acan Emergency

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, May 2, 2009.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bela, What kind of Acans are these? Lords or normal solid color? I have noticed that my lords seem to like higher light and will shrivel more without it. With only PC's ( you didn't say what wattage) this may be an issue.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i had this happen to a couple sps a while back and i had to much minerals in my tank...have you been dosing other chemicals?

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Could be, as a general rule never dose anything you can't measure. Don't use any of those fancy labeled additives in the store.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What is the rest of your fish list?

I would be willing to put $100 they were ate. Especially if they went that fast & everything else looks ok.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    After reading over everything I would guess that they died from a lack of lighting/calcium. If they came from t-5 lighting and then shifted to pc lighting the chance of them not getting enough light would increase greatly. I've seen rather healthy corals degrade to nothing after a few weeks in this type of case. I've seen 4 inch brain corals and 20 head frogspawn die within a day. But I've been wrong before

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any other fish, nor do I dose any chemicals at all. They are the solid color acans, not lords. I have 40 watts of PC lighting in my 10g nano. Lighting could be a problem, it is just strange that they had been fine and happy for so long and then now this. In the morning they weren't even shrivels they were plump and happy, polyps extended. Lights have not quite come on yet but they will soon, I will have a look at them when lights are back on.

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I found the culprit!!! There was a wierd hariy yellowish white cran hiding in the rocks that I just found. I had never seen it before, he must have hitched a ride on the live rock. Are there any nuisance crabs that east coral meat?

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a gorilla crab or a stone crab?

Gorilla crab
    [​IMG]

Stone crab
    [​IMG]

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looked just like the gorilla crab (I am guessing, then, that that is what it was). He is no longer with us... LOL
    One acan has not showed any sign of improvement. The other, however is growing back at, what seems to me, an alarming rate! It is still the one head, but that one head is growing over what skeleton was left behind and is almost 3x its original size. I hope I hang on to at least the one.
    DANG CRABS!!!!!
    Thanks all for your help and support. It was through everyone's suggestions that I was able to pinpoint the problem. Now to stare at the tank (even more than usual) to make sure I have no other baddies!

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Glad you found the culprit. I figured it was something like that.