1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Added a Powder Brown Tang

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpivit, Feb 26, 2013.

1. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I probably should have asked this weeks ago, but I just added a Powder Brown Tang to the tank that has been home to my yellow for about 15 months.
    The yellow is backing up to the brown, but not really striking. He is not too relentless in his chasing either. Is it just waiting for the opportune moment to strike or is this typically all they do?
    How much aggression should I expect, and how long do I have to wait before I call it a success?
    The powder brown was kept in isolation for almost 2 weeks at the Store and looked great before I brought it home, but I did not quarantine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  2. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]
    HD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    they are different body shapes, so the aggression should be minimal. Maybe a couple little stand offs, but I don't think you'll have much for issues.

4. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    That's what I expected to hear, I just wanted to hear it (read it). Thanks.

5. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Powder browns can be tricky to keep and keep healthy, but they are real pretty fish. I love mine.

6. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    We've had a yellow tang, purple tang, and pacific blue all in a 75 gallon years ago (I know, tang police these days). The yellow was there first, then the blue, and lastly the purple. The yellow and blue could care less about each other, but the yellow and purple was a different story. They fought off and on for about a week before settling down. I of course moved some of the live rock around when adding each fish, but the similar shapes really seemed to be the biggest factor. They were all fairly small fish, so it wasn't like they were huge in the tank.

After that week long period, they all got along for a few years before the tank got torn down. I know that it was a matter of time before one of them flipped out because of the size of the tank and the fact that they weren't the only tang in there.

With that said, I think that you will be fine. If there hasn't been fighting yet, most likely there will be little to none.

7. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a yellow 1st then introduced a Powder Brown, the yellow tried to kill the brown for about 2 days, but the brown seemed faster and ignored the yellow. He gave up after awhile ... Then they ate from the same Algiers strip...

The browns do tend to be iChat magnets, I soaked food with Garlic regularly and didn't have any concerns....

8. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    The aggression has almost completely subsided, the yellow still flares up occasionally, but for the most part they ignore each other. I am concerned about ich, I feed nori, and diy mush that has a healthy dose of garlic mixed in. Hopefully all will be good. So far the brown is eating very good, and is looking very good. It's only been a day though.

9. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No need to worry about ICH. It will appear soon enough. :)

Seriously, my powder brown has been a challenge, but everything worked out fine and he's doing great. I chronicled my journey here, so you could read that and benefit from my experience. Most important lesson: Stay calm. Don't overreact.