1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

African Cichlid enthusiasts...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fultsreef, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im putting this here as it isnt saltwater related...are there any members here who also have african cichlids? Im getting a 55 gallon mixed african tank in the plans for this summer and was curious if there was a club similar to girs that was cichlid or freshwater oriented in iowa. I know ac&c is getting into freshwater and wet pet outlet in eldora has a good selection of cichlids...are there any other good choices for cichlids in iowa or online? im looking for rare and common cichlids and want to know what options i have. I bought cichlids in 2000 and they all lived until 2012 so im a little out of the loop.

2. cjbtech

cjbtech Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.midwestcichlid.com/
    http://www.iowaaquatichobbyist.com/
    These are 2 really good sites for Cichlid keeping. The IAH is having a swap/auction this Sunday.
    I know a lot of very nice people on both of these sites that would be happy to set you up with some fish. A fraction of pet stores and for the most part good quality. Be a shopper though.... Mike

3. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. I plan to shop for quite awhile yet...not going to get this project going until early to mid summer. I also want to support local fish businesses as much as possible in this. I was just interested in the possibility of utilizing an online source or a club to find a couple rare cichlids that fish stores dont typically have. So far i have everything in the planning phase and once my wife gets off maternity leave in april i will take it to the next stage of making it a reality...hoping to have a stocked cichlid tank by july....fingers crossed. Cichlids are where i got mynstart and i have a love for them and want to get that aspect of this hobby going again...reefing is my new love though and will be my primary focus though.

4. cjbtech

cjbtech Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funny you are in salt wanting a few cichlids and I'm getting rid of my cichlids to do salt....

5. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am in process of selling one of my 55gallon african cichlid tanks...maybe you'd be interested. It's been established for over 7 years so it's very stable. I have a male Dragon Blood peacock, 5 maingano mbunas, 4 yellow labs, and 4 synodontis petricolas. I'd make you a deal on the whole setup or I can piece it out. The tank, light, stand, and fish are going to the EIAA auction in April if I don't sell first.

6. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    cjbtech...cichlids are for the most part where i got my start...had some angelfish then moved on to African rift lake cichlids...once they died i then made the move to saltwater for a bigger challenge and a more diverse selection of livestock. now that i have accomplished getting saltwater going i find myself still wanting to have cichlids in my life...its been just over a year since i had them...alot of memories regarding cichlid shopping with my dad when him and i both had a cichlid aquarium.

bobsfish...i due greatly appreciate the offer and if i was in a better situation financially and had my freshwater tank all set up and cycled i would for sure be interested in some of your fish. we just had a baby in february and my wife is on maternity leave so we are living pretty frugal life until she gets back to work and is back to her full salary. i plan on getting the ball rolling once she is back to work...if i do any earlier then i am bound to be on the losing end of an argument. i would for sure love to have your synodontis cats as well as your cichlids if this offer would have been made a few months down the road.

7. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love cichlids. I kind of like to think of psudochromis as the saltwater cichlid.

8. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i agree with you mthomp...psuedochromis and for me i think anthias just have a striking similarity to rift lake cichlids. just as cichlids are about as close to a saltwater fish as you can get when it comes to coloration. not to many other freshwater fish that are colorful enough to compare to saltwater fish.