1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AJ`s Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, May 22, 2009.

1. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also heard you plan on putting a couple tangs in that 10 gallon tank and a blue throat trigger along with a mantis shrimp...

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm adding a couple dozen hippo tangs into my JBJ 12 with another 30 lbs of live rock. haha /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif

3. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I heard that aptasia anemone is really rare you should probably put a few in there to=)

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

HAHA, I can probably find some for you if interested!

Any updates, I'm getting excited!

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Hey AJ, I forgot to mention my dad works at a lumber yard and could get you the glass for cost. He'd cut it himself, as I've had him cut me plenty of stuff in the past for way cheap(son discount). haha. Let me know if you've already solved the problem or if you want me to have him price it out. There's a lot of times where there's extra pieces of glass laying around where it might even be close to free. I would be able to get it to you by fall fest, my brothers coming up to visit that weekend...

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bump. Can we get an update??  [​IMG]

7. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling he is working pretty hard right now to get things together. It was a long day but even longer for him.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, it was a long day...actually two days. It started yesterday by me loading my 90 that I had been working on into the van and heading out for Des Moines. Logan is now the proud owner of that tank and I hope he's as happy with it as I was. I picked up Ryan 120 that was recently posted in the Buy/Sell forum. It's not hard to see why I fell in love with the tank if you've seen pics. We got the entire system taken down, loaded into an U-Haul, and moved to Cedar Rapids. Thanks to Troy, Joel, Casey, Ryan and Gered for all their help today taking stuff apart and loading/unloading everything. It's so great being a member of this club as I can't imagine how I would have ever been able to pull off a move like this without the help of these great guys. I'm starting to clean everything up and I'll send pics as soon as I have things cleaned up. I got new bulbs on the way and I'm taking the day off in hopes to make significant progress on setting things up. The net result of this upgrade means an upgrade in reflectors, tank size, skimmer, powerheads and I picked up some livestock in the deal too. I see it as good all around. More to come.

--AJ

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, and even with all that help, I left home at 8:30 AM, and didn't get back until around 10 PM tonight. It was a *long* day.

--AJ

10. Alex

Alex

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    AJ
    Congrats that looks like a sweet tank and beautiful stand.   I was interested in it too but I am leaning
    toward a bigger tank.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Alex! I really only have a 4 foot space to put a tank in so this was perfect. I like the extra depth of the 2' tank.

--AJ

12. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ
    All the live stock is looking pretty good today. Still haven't got the tangs to eat yet, but its only been about 12 house since they were put in my tank. All the Zoas have opened today, and I think everything else will need a few more days to get used to the tank.

Troy

13. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ I am extremely happy with the tank! I am so happy I finally can afford to get back into the hobby! Its not my 135, but it is alot nicer. The stand and canopy is amazing and did i mention that being able to work with a brand new tank is even better? Can't wait to see the pics. I may get a hold of you for some equipment(reactors and what not) if you are selling anything. Keep in touch!

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Logan...glad to hear it. I know you'll set it up nicely. Make sure and send pics...and let me know if you want reactors...I got a few to sell. I also have a Mag 9 that was used as the return pump for that when Dustin had it set up. Let me know if you need a return pump.

--AJ

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So it's been all about cleaning so far...cleaning the skimmer, the powerheads and the tank. Things were really dirty and I won't start things up without getting a good cleaning. I cleaned out a Rubbermaid stock tank and the skimmer yesterday. The skimmer was disassembled and cleaned very well. I doubt that it's gotten a cleaning like that for a very long time. I also found out that it was missing an O ring around the collection cup...so I got that on order. I also ordered some new bulbs. I went with the Reeflux 20K bulb as I heard from a couple of people that they saw the same growth with them as the 14K bulbs, but the colors were better. We'll see. I also got the stuff to make new overflow stand pipe and return and cut the PVC. The old return was structurally OK, but had all sorts of algae inside the return and was just generally nasty. I hope to drill the floor for plumbing tonight...that's one of the things that I'm most nervous about with this whole project.

--AJ

16. Casey

Casey Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You might have already thought of this, but it would probably also help tacking a couple nails around the hole your drilling to stabalize the carpet, depending on what bit your going to drill with.

By the way, the new aquarium is SICK awesome!

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Casey...I was actually thinking about cutting the carpet and peeling it back so that I didn't actually cut thru the carpet.  I could always have someone come in and re-stitch it later if I did that...or at least it would be easier to fix.  That's my thoughts.  Any carpet people here that have recommendations on what I should do?
    --AJ

18. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    BOOOOOOO too many words we need pictures! Progression pictures?

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've snapped them, just not uploaded any yet. I promise..pics tonight.

--AJ

20. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They better be on here by the time I get off work tonight