1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Amino Acids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fence13, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I know several of you dose AA to help your SPS. Have you seen an improvement with this? What brand do you use? The one I hear about most often is AcroPower but I wanted to check around before getting it.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have used it with great results

I usually mix different kinds. Fuel, acro power, and the one from brightwell.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have used Acro Power, Fuel, Reef Gro, and just got a bottle of Elos Amino acids. I don't think there is any difference in any of them. I use them for color of my sticks because my nitrate and phosphate levels are so low. But I do experience better polop extension using aminos.
    Fuel is cheaper so that is the one I have been using. Gonna try the Elos and see what happens.

Don't dose to much or to often. I have had small patches of cyano show up and had to stop dosing for a bit and lower dosage after that.

4. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    How much of a dose do you like to do?

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I tried Acro power and didn't notice any difference in my tank. Maybe I didn't use it long enough.. Only tried it with 1 bottle (500ml) a few months back. Gonna try Red Sea Reef Energy A & B. Just got the bottles last week.

Very interested in this topic also - as I don't get much polyp extension.

6. I have used Elos AA with great results. I have great polyp extension as well very noticeable difference in colors. I have heard that AcroPower is a weaker solution, and I am pretty sure you will get more doses for your money with other products. I will be purchasing KZ AA next, because I will get more doses for the $ compared to the Elos and I really like KZ products I am already using. Once cool thing is that the Elos AA glows under UV. I dose at night and it turns the tank bright yellow.

Oh and I also used the Elos's Skimmer Pro food in conjunction with their AA. This could have played a factor with achieving better polyp extension as well as increase in color.

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I dose 3 small cap fulls 3 times a week on 200 gallon system. That's the fuel doseage. About the same on acro power

8. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    What's the full name of the Fuel one? I found all the others but I'm not sure which one this is.

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
  10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    You still need more flow #beckerj3 for polyp extension
    --- Auto-Merged, Sep 20, 2015 ---
    Elos & KZ are the best imo but haven't used red sea since I found the best imosorry as I'm bouncing in the truck on the tablet....
    --- Auto-Merged, Sep 20, 2015, Original Post: Sep 20, 2015 ---
    Be careful with the Elos Jer as it is strong!

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Will do.

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I just got the korallen-zucht amino acid a few days ago. I've had Sponge power for probably about 6 months and have been using it semi-regularly on my display tank (but not my other two tanks). I also have started using Red Sea Energy A and B on the display tank for a little over a week. Not much results that I could tell so far.

So, yesterday I decided to try the KZ amino acid and Sponge power on my Cube tank and Frag tank. So one drop of each yesterday and one drop today. I know this is crazy, but for those two tanks, I have to say WOW. It would seem like I'm imagining it, but to my eyes they made a huge difference. Colors are so much clearer and the water looks super clear, like a veil lifted. Too early to tell yet if I will get greater polyp extension, but for the results in just one day, I'm sold. Maybe it will revert back, who knows.....

13. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Keep us updated on the kz sponge power and amino results. Sounds like a good combo

14. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Haven't seen much difference but it could always be a subtle thing for my tank. Maybe I'll start monitoring my Potassium as well.

15. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have to keep track of potassium levels. If gets to low Monti caps turn a pale greyish color and blue and purples are dull. I try to keep mine around 400. Currently running 370. I need to bump mine up a bit

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I use Sponge Power along with both KZ's AA's(Elos too). KZ has 2; an LPS AA and an AA {for SPS}. I use both. What many don't realize or understand is that these companies are making their products to be used together. Some people will just buy 1 product and use it, then says it doesn't work. That's not really true as you have seen :0) For example, KZ may go very light on adding Potassium to one of their products but using another product in their arsenal, the K might be at a much higher concentration. Using both together will give the tank the correct amount of K.:0) As I said, that's just an example. That's why we are seeing a lot of product 'programs' like Red Sea's "Colors" and the ZEO program. Some companies say to use X along with Y in order to get the best/desired result(s).

I will also add that you keep your corals healthy. Adding another or different product (that's good) can give a faster visible result because they are healthy!! Adding an element to give a higher concentration may be just what the coral(s) needed (that extra boost) to see the fast visible result! If you have sponges and dose the Sponge power as directed, I think you will see your sponges grow even faster! A great benefit since sponges naturally filter the water:0)

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    IMO the Elos AA is the best out there. Granted, I haven't used all of them. But, as you have seen and more than likely smelled, there's a difference between Elos AA and some others' AA products. The 'yellow' and smell is a good indication of the quality Elos brings in their AA! I know a guy that has a large tank that's stocked full of Acros' and he uses Elos...he dumps the Elos straight in to the tank and doesn't stop adding it until the water turns yellow! That's when he says he know he's given his sticks enough AA's! lol He has no bad side effects from dosing that way :0) His tanks are beautiful!