1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any duck hunters/bow hunters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xroads, Oct 23, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Since the corn isnt coming out any time soon & there is a ton of water I was thinking of concentrating on ducks for awhile instead of deer.
    Any other hunters out there having any luck?
    Craig

2. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sitting out this year with the arm still healing. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Me and a buddy went through a box of clays today /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif Figured I might as well get it out of my system sense I most likely will not see any pheasant

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    No ducks but have been out with the bow and early muzzleloader....

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I didnt know we still had pheasants in Iowa

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

[​IMG]

This is my plans for the weekend

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0

Wow, that is a nice buck!  Good luck with him!

If I knew how to upload pics to this site I'd share the before & after pics of my target buck from the early muzzleloader season...I assume there's a link somewhere on the site that would help someone who is feeling somewhat "techincally challenged" right now...?  thanks,

8. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0

Did anyone make it out for the pheasant opener last weekend?  For only the 2nd time in the past 25 years I didn't make it out....  Ok, so I found the photo upload instructions and going to try it on this post....if successful, the droptine buck on the left is the one I was able to harvest during early muzzleloader season.  I took this pic in August when the bucks were still in velvet.  Decided not to post a harvest pic - don't want to offend anyone on the site.
    [​IMG]

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow those are some incredible deer. I will have to come visit you someday!

I didnt make it out for pheasants either.

2 years ago I counted 23 pheasants in my back yard one day. Since the heavy snows 2 years ago followed by the floods I havent seen 1 bird on my land.

Kinda sad

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I hear you about the pheasant population - that coupled with not having a bird dog any longer is why I didn't go this year. We used to have decent quail population at my place and really don't have any longer. Too much timber & pasture for many pheasants and haven't seen any this year at all.

11. Cybball

Cybball Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bowhunt.  I used to duck hunt, but too many irons in the fire made me give it up.  Got my biggest buck yet with a bow.  Saw a lot of really good ones this season, even with all the standing corn.

[​IMG]

12. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Congrats on a nice buck!

13. Cybball

Cybball Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. My son and I saw one this big, but with two more points 2 weeks later in the same spot. He picked us off though, so my son didn't get a shot. Fun season though.