1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any pool people here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xroads, Mar 17, 2010.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

A friend of mine has a 30,000G pool & wants to add a heater to it.
    Any pool techs here or connections on getting a good heat pump heater?
    I tried talking him into adding some salt to it but he wouldnt listen.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use to lifeguard at the local YMCA but never messed with more than the thermostat. We would keep the pool between 78 snd 81. Lap swimmers preferred it in the lower range.

3. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They are expensive to run... Is there room for a solar heater?  We dont heat ours, just rely on weather and a solar blanket. Ours is 33' diam & about 1/3 is deep end.... 7'

4. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    unless he is wanting a yearround pool the cost imo isnt worth it.  +1 on a solar blanket. also i would also recommend a salt generator as he will never have to add chlorine again. i manage a 30,000g pool and have a salt gen and well worth it for longterm. heres a site for him to check out for heaters.  //www.doheny.com/      and another www.intheswim.com   desmoines has a couple good local pool supply stores also.

5. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    +1 on the solar heater. My grandparents have a solar heater on the roof of their garage and it will bring temps up a few degrees on a sunny day and some days they even have to divert water away from it. They also have a LP heater but they only run that in the early season and near the end of the season.

6. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just figure if it's cool outside who wants to jump in the pool? Thats what the hot tub is for![​IMG]

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Well last year with the cool summer it was very cold most of the time, he hardly used it.

Thx for the help all.