1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any serious interest in a LiveAquaria order?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by nickbuol, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI for anyone who didn't know and is looking to add to the order....

I just found in Diver's Den under "maricultured" and "aquacultured" there are a whole variety of corals that do not pull up in searches and are not shown in any of the other Diver's Den category. Found what I was looking for there!

2. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Another note in addition to the Diver's Den is that we just broke $450 in live items for this order. Nice...

3. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    FYI that I would like to have everything called in by 10:00 pm tonight. They automatically "lock" the order early tomorrow, so if need be, I can make a final call when they open in the morning to add any paid last minute items.

4. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well, it is 1:45am and I am going to bed. I will look for any additions around 7:30 and probably go back to bed (I have the day off) around 8:00 am as I have been running on about 4-5 hours of sleep a night, so any last minute items, let me know.

Just FYI that we have the following coming:
    1 Coral Beauty
    5 Coral Catfish
    1 Zebra Catalina Goby
    3 Firefish
    2 Yellow Clown Gobies
    2 Orange Shoulder Tangs
    2 Ocellaris Tank Bred Clownfish
    1 Blue Cobra Guppy Pair
    1 Red Cobra Delta Guppy Pair
    1 Sea Cucumber (Yellow) (small)
    4 Sexy Anemone Shrimp
    3 Dwarf Tip Hermit Crabs
    3 Tank Bred Aiptasia Peppermint Shrimp
    1 Sympodium Coral (Diver's Den)

That is 20 fish, 11 inverts, and 1 coral. Total was something around $450.
    I was going to add some peppermint shrimp myself when I was wondering if we would hit $225, and might still in the morning, but my original plan was just to get some fish.

5. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Here it is at 11:30 am and still no delivery. They went on the truck around 7:45 and we know how warm that will be. FedEx says "by noon" but these packages (three in total) can't be the last ones on the truck. I hope....

6. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    So FedEx shows up at 11:45 am. Nothing like cutting it close to noon.

Three good sized boxes of goodies.

Besides the 3 different backorder items (3 Dwarf Tip Hermit Crabs, 2 Yellow Clown Gobies, 1 Yellow Sea Cucumber) that we knew about, we discovered the following:

1 DOA firefish (We ordered 3, and one was for me so I kept the dead one.)
    1 Almost DOA Zebra Catalina Goby
    1 Missing Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp
    1 Extra Sexy Anemone Shrimp (as in one more than we ordered, not that is was "extra sexy" LOL)
    1 Missing Pair of Blue Cobra Guppies FW (Pair)

The missing guppies was strange. They were ordered with a bunch of other items including a pair of Red Cobra guppies. The freshwater fish come in the "blue water". The Red Cobras were in one bag of blue water, there was a bag of blue water for the Blue Cobras. Those bags had air and were rubber-banded shut and both put inside another larger bag together. Somewhere in the process they just forgot to put the Blue Cobra guppies into the bag. As in the bag was sealed still with air and water, but no fish. Strange.

Live Aquaria will cover the shipping of replacement items from an order ONE time and only if the replacement cost is $30 or more. We have more than $30 of DOA, almost dead, and missing stuff, but will want to wait until towards the end of the 14 day "alive guarantee" in case other things don't make it since we only get 1 claim.

I wonder how they did today with the order going to Des Moines.

7. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would be great if they can include any backordered items that may come available at the time of reshipping DOAs. I've used Live Aquaria a couple times and never had all these problems. Maybe they have some new hires?

The zebra catalina goby my son picked out is stable, he may have been too warm (they prefer water below 75) or low on oxygen. Opening the bag and adding water seemed to help. I'll be keeping a close eye on him. He was floating upside down in the bag and darting around aimlessly when the bag was moved, so he was pretty rough there for awhile. A little bummed the peppermint shrimp didn't arrive.

But overall I'm really happy - everything else is fantastic and my sympodium is starting to open already! I hope everyone else's fish and inverts are doing good too!

A really big thanks to Nick for all the hard work put into this order.

8. Rookie...

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I lost one of the five catfish. I had just finished dripping him in, I put him in the tank and a minute later my HUGE carpet got ahold of him and ate him!!!! suppose that is not covered?!?! LOL! I guess he was an expensive snack and i think I know where my missing diamond goby went /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif Otherwise everything is doing great! thanks so much for putting this order together and hope your daughters party went well.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You guys need to realize that when you order from the LA faciility it is actually coming from the wholesaler Quality Marine who box up their stuff and put it in a Live Aquaria box. It is not QT and never touched by LA employees.

Divers Den is top notch, but the rest of their stuff is just QM. What you get is a 15 guarantee and excellent customer service by the LA staff when you have problems.

10. Big D Well-Known ReefKeeper

Center Point
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

+1

11. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I DID know that. The Rhinelander, WI site is just the Diver's Den. Reading elsewhere on the internet, people have had very little problems (good success) with Quality Marine's live stock. It seems that the firefish, which are labeled on LiveAquaria as "seasonal" are way to sensitive to the cold temps. The other things were people mistakes with forgetting items, mixing up quantities, etc that LA is going to fix for us. So not as smooth as I would have hoped, but it sounds like we will get everything again. Of course, unless we get some warmer weather in about 2 weeks, the firefish may be a problem again.

I asked them about putting backordered items and DOA stuff together, but I guess that the two systems don't talk to each other, so if it happens it will be pure coincidence.

12. Shayna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't aware LA outsourced their order fulfillment, but it doesn't surprise me. Many large business do that these days. That also doesn't change my opinion. Compared to the prior orders I've had, I am still surprised so many things went wrong this time. LA strives for good service, and order accuracy is part of that, so I would think they'd hold the wholesaler processing orders to their standards. I still wonder if they have newbies filling the orders where ever that may be. Just my two cents....

Either way, my fishes are still going strong and I'm happy. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

13. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My clownfish are doing great. But yeah, there were a number of odd issues.

14. HarleyHawk

HarleyHawk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nick for putting the group buy together it's alot more work then a person thinks
    my stuff is doing great

15. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I had a little scare this morning. One of my clowns was laying at the bottom of the QT sort of "tucked under" the little 90 degree PVC elbow I have in there. I thought he was on his last "fin". Well, I found out that he was just "sleeping". It was so dark in our basement with all of the lights off and blinds closed when I checked on him (sun was barely up) that he was just snoozing.

I turned on the lights in the family room next door to the QT tank, and then 15 minutes later turned on the lights in the same room before finally turning on the lights above the QT. He was back to swimming and eating in no time.

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Yep, they'll do that LOL. Mine sleep laying sideways tucked behind a heater. If you didn't know any better you would think they were 2 seconds from death in the AM.

17. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    So backordered stuff comes today. I got the email around 5:00 or so last night. Good thing I didn't go to Bacon Fest in Des Moines or it would have been an issue. Anyway, this time they were delivered to the FedEx office by Best Buy in Cedar Rapids (by Lindale) around 9:00 am. I got there, only to find that the guy working was saying that they aren't supposed to accept live animals, but he was certainly curious. So I opened it up right there and the water temps we a LOT better than last week were we had DOA stuff, and everything looked really good. Not sure if it was the fact that it spent 3 less hours in a cold truck, or if some other variable was in play, but SO much better than last week.

So now to get the stuff out to the people that had backordered items. HarleyHawk picked up his yellow cucumber at the FedEx place shortly after I got there, Shayna is meeting me at the mall at 11:30 to pick up some hermit crabs, and jstngates is making the drive to Marion this afternoon for some cute yellow clown gobies.

Then the saga continues with the primary shipment from last week and needing to make our claim later this week for anything that didn't make it. It seems like most people are OK, but the person that bought the must stuff is just having some tough luck. Let's hope for some decent weather again since my next option is to drive all the way to the airport to pick stuff up. Nothing like 60 minutes round trip drive time for a $10 fish for me. LOL

I think that *IF* I ever do this again, it will be in spring or fall. Not winter or summer. I think that we get a lot closer to 100% live...

18. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Note: I don't mind it since it helps everyone out, I just find it ironic...

19. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I just got in some coral from divers den and the temp was pretty good. Forgot to check it but wasnt cooler than room temp. FYI I was amazed with the packaging. Never have picked up SPS from them, the frags were in at least 4 bags with a thicker plastic half's on each end and the frag bottoms had styrofoam so they stayed in the middle and protected. Seemed to ship well and have extension already.

20. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this time around I would say that things were more like room temp. Last week, the bags were just plain cold...