1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone been to Australia?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AJ, Mar 21, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So visiting the Great Barrier Reef and Australia in general has long
    been a dream vacation of mine...so I have a milestone birthday and
    anniversary coming up (still a couple of years away), my wife and I are
    going to make the trip.  We would like to go for two to three weeks
    spending plenty of time taking in the reef and other tourism
    opportunities.  After all, it takes a couple of days to get there and a
    couple of days back.  I've never been there so I thought I would see if
    I can get some recommendations from others on things we should do.  
    We're setting up a savings account for the trip,but in order to know
    what the money target is, we need to do some basic trip planning
    first.   I could go to a travel agent, but I figured people that were a
    little more like-minded to the things that I was interested in doing
    would be a better resource.  Thoughts?
    --AJ

2. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if no one can help you here you could try to post on rc  in there diving and snorkeling forum. there was a post on here awhile ago about a job as an island caretaker had some neat stuff.

3. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I was there a few years ago on business but was too busy to make it to the great barrier reef (will have to go back!). Our office is in Brisbane so I was able to go to Morton Bay snorkeling on an artificial reef made out of sunken ships which was pretty cool but would definitely take the GBR over it! The Gold Coast is kind of cool - a bit touristy but might keep the wife happy ;-) this is all on the east coast like the GRB - not sure if you plan to cover the whole continent...? I would love to go back...!

4. JoeVic

JoeVic Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ, I went to Australia in 2002.  All i can say is I would go back in a heart beat.  It's amazing.  I also dived the Barrier Reef 8 times.  I did a boat dive trip.  Stayed on the boat out on the reef for 3 days.  It was amazing man.  I have a bunch of pictures as well if you would like to see them.  I flew into Sydney and then took a Domestic flight up to Cairns to go see the Great Barrier Reef.  Actually got my Advanced Diving certification while I was there.  You'll definately want 2 weeks there for sure!!!

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also a dream vacation spot of mine! No recommendations, but love reading about the trips others have taken there /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am def tagging along on this one. I am going to start saving up my airmiles to pay for the plane. We have to wait a couple more years for our kids to get olders but we plan on going for 2-3 weeks as well.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xmasia,
    I'll check out that forum, thanks for the tip.

JoeVic,
    I would love to see pics if you're willing to share them!

I'll have to be doing non-scuba activities too as my wife really doesn't like the idea of swimming with fish. We were snorkeling in the Cayman Islands and there were groups of fish around us and it freaked her out. She didn't even like the giant stingrays (which were very cool). I wouldn't mind doing more than just the Gold Coast area...but honestly, I would probably spend the whole time there if it was just me.

--AJ