1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyone have experience with wifi extenders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Armydog, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So instead of drilling a hole in my floor to run a cat5 cable downstairs to my stuff down there that needs Internet Im thinking about getting a NETGEAR AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200)

Before I go and spend the money I wanted to get people's personal experience with them if any.

Thanks in advance

2. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I run all apple products, but my set up has one central base router. Then I use 3 older routers that take the signal from the central router and send out another signal. My main router is more than enough to cover what I need, but I use the small ones for components that need a hardline.

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    @Buku@Buku is this the same for my Apex in the far room. Will a Apex run off of a router. So I don't have to run lines threw my house?

4. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Great idea. What do you use to have the older routers receive the signal from the central router?

5. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Yup thats exactly what I do. I live above my bar and my central router is in the bar. I have 3 tanks all over my apartment above, so I tether all the routers together. Each of my APEXs are plugged into an extra router so they are all connected to the internet.

6. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Thank you! Thought I was going to have run a cord all the way threw the house!
    #Lifesaver

7. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So im not really following on how to tether the routers...

But so will my idea work since I can plug my smart tv into the extender?

8. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    My central router is a 1TB Apple Time Capsule so I can backup all of my computers to a central backup. Then for my extra routers I just buy cheap used apple airports.

9. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Is your tv not equipped with WIFI? If you need to a hardline to the tv an extender will work instead of drilling holes. Im not sure what to use aside from apple products. But as long as you're not going a long distance I don't see the point in dropping a lot of money in one. Just buy a used a extender to tether into your existing router. It will all be wireless. I spent a fair amount on my main router then I bought used routers for $20 a piece.

10. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I will look once i get off work. I know there are some that are fairly cheap. How many ports do you need? Also how strong is the wifi signal normally where you want an extender at?

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
  12. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So downstairs I have my xbox one that I like to have direct connected, ai director, and controller.

Upstairs is where we use our phones, tablets, smart tv ect.

Right now we have 2 separate Internets downstairs I have cable Internet, upstairs century link....

I would like to get rid of the century link and just run with the cable Internet....

So thats my situation lol

13. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Well you won't need a time capsule if you don't plan on using it to back up your computer. I'm not for sure if Apple products with tether with other brands. I'll look it up after I get done with work. If you don't plan on backing it up you could get 2 older apple airports for $40. I'll still look for an option to tether into your belkin you have already.

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    That link is to a time capsule thats only $86 on amazon

The extender that I posted is $99 and rated #1 for reviews of best extenders

15. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Well a good application for that is when you need to extend wifi to another building. I've set some of my customers up with a system like that because they needed wifi in their garage but it wouldn't reach from the house to the garage since it was steel siding. So they had a central router then another router that worked as an extender. It grabs the signal then redisperses the signal so it can go farther. So since it's going to be in your house yet you don't need to get an expensive one to boost your signal. Just one you can plug into. In which a cheaper one will do just fine.

16. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Following along here. Using Windows on a Netscape router so may need to research the differences from Apple.

17. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
  18. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I'll be done in about an hour then I'll see what I can find on Amazon.

19. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I should add we stream movies, videos, music ect upstairs so the extender would have to be good enough to do that. Faster the better im just not familiar with this stuff I appreciate your help for sure