1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyone have experience with wifi extenders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Armydog, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-...p/B00GXECBN6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

This should work for what you need. It is a refurbished, but it does come with a warranty. If you go in the used section and get a warehouse deal you can save another $6. I buy warehouse deals all the time 95% of them are not really as bad as what they list them to be. And if its too much just send it back as "not as described" for free shipping back.

2. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    +1 for 20$ netgear ones... Its pretty basic tech, no need to spend money. The couple years I used an apex pre-RA I had more issues with the apex than the 20$ extender..

3. Nick Graber GIRS Member

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
  4. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I used a Netgear WN3000RP range extender to get better WiFi coverage in my house for 1-2 years. I eventually moved my router to a central location for overall better results. The WN3000RP was like an extra link in my network that connected several devices including my TV/DVD and ReefKeeper (on WNCE2001 wireless bridge) to the main router (WNDR3400). When I moved my router and eliminated the extra link in my network, reliability increased dramatically and speed improved noticeably. My network scheme worked, but I found that I had to reboot my router, range extender (in that order), then any other devices that didn't re-connect at least once a week. My experience was based on technology that is perhaps out of date now. I would expect the newer range extenders to be more reliable and streamlined for better speeds, so I wouldn't hesitate to try the AC1200 if I was in your position.

5. Nick Graber GIRS Member

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Range extenders always add extra complexity to your network. They increase network latency and reduce bandwidth and tend to not be as reliable as adding an additional Access point. I would recommend a quality business grade access point over any home user grade device. For example I have one access point in my house on the second floor and it covers the entire house including the basement and I have never had to reboot it for any other reason than changing settings and I have had it for over two years now.

This is the unit I have but it is several years old.
    EnGenius EAP600 N600 High-Power Dual-Band Gigabit Indoor Wireless Access Point - Newegg.com

6. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Im basically gonna use it for the tv ect upstairs for movies and Internet for the rest of the house. The wifi reaches upstairs without the extender but the tv needs to be direct connected so hopefully this does the trick if not ill just end up drilling a hole ;)
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 6, 2015 ---
    Thanks for all the responses :)