1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone use Sprint?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by AJ, Apr 2, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I've finally decided to get a smartphone, but I think as part of the transition, I'm going to also change carriers.  I've been with US Cellular for about 10 years and they have been good, but I can get better rates from other carriers.  Sprint is looking to be the least expensive option, but I don't want to make price my only reason for going with them...I want to make sure that they have decent download speeds too.  So all that in mind, anyone use Sprint and what do you think of their data speeds?  Have you compared yours vs friends on other carriers? 
    --AJ

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live about 45 minnutes south of Iowa City and sprint does not work here at all, even though there maps say they do. I got no reeption and it was a pain so for me it was worth the early termination fee and swithed to US Cellular. The data speeds are decent and in the last two years I have had less dropped calls than I would have in one week with sprint. Shaun

3. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sprint is terrible around here. dropped calls ... no signal...

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a Sprint phone - I get it through work. I only have problems when I'm far out of the city. As long as I'm in or near a city, I have great coverage. But, when I've gone camping, fishing, or hunting, it's pretty unpredictable. I travel to Missouri quite oftne and there are dead zones along hwy 27 and 61. My wife and kids have US Cellular...can't say it's superior. They have their own issues. My opinion is that it depends on where / how you need to use your phone and select your plan on that. For 98% of my time and use, Sprint works great. Granted, the 2% is annoying...but, I don't think there's a plan that will yield 100%...so, I'm pretty happy with 98%. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably get Verizon...but, it's hard for me to argue with free.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard really mixed things about their signal strength. My brother-in-law delivers medical equipment all over eastern Iowa and he rarely runs into issues with dropped calls. Now it does go into roam a lot, but he has a national plan (as would I) so this is not an issue. How long ago were you guys with Sprint? I wonder if this is an issue that was recently resolved. Hmm.. And I thought that they had a 30 day return policy where they would refund all $$ including device purchase, usage, and activation fees, etc without charging an early term fee. Is the return policy new or was there another reason for the early termination fee? I think this kind of a return policy is standard across pretty much all of the carriers now.

--AJ

6. Don

Don

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had Sprint a few years back and like others was roaming most of the time but it was included in my plan. The only problem I had was no Data while roaming, so don't know if that's still the case know.

I think Sprint seems to have the best pricing for plans out there but coverage isn't the best.

I personally use Verizon now and have been very happy with the coverage and having 3G almost everywhere I go is great.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone...good information to know that I'll certainly take into consideration.

--AJ

8. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If your going to get a smartphone. Stay away from Blackberry, might be Verizon thing, but for the last 3 days I have been without browser on my phone, and all they can tell me is that it is a Blackberry service issue, and have not idea when it will be fixed.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend went with Sprint for a month to try them out. Here in Ames, reception was terrible as well. ATT and Verizon seem to be the ones to go with for smart phones... they also seem the most expensive. As far as the blackberry comment, what brower are you talking about? I often use a blackberry pearl as a "throw away" phone where I am afraid my iphone will get damaged or lost. Just popped the sim in and everything seems to be working fine.

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Between work and personal phones I have been with AT&T, Cingular (now one and the same), Verizon and US Cellular. By far, US Cell has the best reception overall. I live in the country so that plays a big role in the decision...

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We're planning to stay away from Blackberrys. Not that there's anything wrong with them, my wife and I just don't like how wide they are with the keyboard on the front. We were looking at some of the touch screen phones like the HTC Hero. I would like to give the Android OS a try. Well, still researching...so I'll see how it all turns out. Between AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular, I stand to save $600 on service with Sprint in a year. AT&T and Verizon are about even, both tying for most expensive. Then comes US Cellular, and finally Sprint. I work at a corp where I get a discount from AT&T (18% off base voice plan - not including data, testing and extra line charges) and Sprint (12% across the board) so that helps too. I may just try them for a month and see if it's worth it or not. Maybe I hate it and switch to just a regular phone with US Cellular...I don't know. US Cellular has a really crappy selection for smart phones...especially if you don't like Blackberrys. Lots of factors, but everyone's insight is helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

--AJ

12. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We have AT&T (I also get a discount) using iPhones and love them!

13. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am currently with sprint for a little over a year. I do not have a smart phone and hate my download speed. The hero is alright but the touch pro 2 is much better. Ive used verizon they are alright better connection. I am almost in roaming most of the time with sprint but am finding out that also has alot to do with the phone. The only roaming chargers I get are through data though. If you go to the sprint store next to target on the east side all the phones are activated and you can play around with them.

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    iPhones look great...jealous of all that have them. They seem like the standard that all others are compared to and the most prolific platform for apps.

--AJ

15. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The iphone is pretty outdated anymore. They arent doing upgrades to the new phones and most people are going with windows or google anymore they offer more upgrades and are comming out with the most upgrades

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow..that's good to know.  I went to the one on the SW side by my house and they had these crappy demo phones that you couldn't even turn on.  They told me that no Sprint stores in the area had working phones and that I could get any phone and try it out for 30 days and switch to another phone if I didn't like it.  The Touch Pro 2 looks nice, but it's Windows Mobile 6.1, with 6.5 coming soon....I've heard Mobile 7 is great (from both early reports and a friend of mine that's beta testing it - Microsoft employee), but 6.5 is very average.  Is that consistent with your experiences?
    --AJ

17. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I dont have one yet. Waiting for my contact to get a second one. The 6.1 was alright from what I hear the main update that made it 6.5 was the fact the phone would go into airplane mode by itself. From playing around with it at the sprint store and watching transformers 2 on it I have been hooked. Love the large touch screen while having the qwerty keyboard with the screen being able to angle up. From the phone nerds I have talked to the best anymore is google then windows and finally iphone.

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting. It looks like a sweet phone, but Sprint sells it for $299 (that's after two year contract discount and rebate)...and that's a bitter pill to swallow. I know Verizon sells it for much less, but the service differential still make it much less with Sprint. I can get two Heros for that price and they have Android. I really like the idea of getting the QWERTY keyboard, but again, the price is my main hesitation at this point. And iPhone is the only one to have a AquaNotes app so far. I wish the others did too..

--AJ

19. Don

Don

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have played with several smart phones. IPhone is, in my opinion, to restricted in options. Windows mobile isn't bad at all but last I saw no current phone can be upgraded to windows mobile 7 do to the requirements of the new OS. I currently use the Droid and love it. I am all about being able to do what I want with my phone and you just can't beat Android OS for that. I have it rooted with a custom rom and love all the options I have with it. I did jailbreak an iPhone for a friend and even then there still wasn't a great benefit. Plus right now I think the Droids have a pretty good price on them now.

20. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My husband had Sprint for a couple years in Iowa City and we could almost count on our call (when we were dating) to be dropped at some point /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif When we moved south to Riverside, he frequently got spotty reception and dropped calls /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif We switched to Tracfones now and have no problems.....