1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

April 10, 2010 CR/IC Tank Tour Stop sign up

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Mar 25, 2010.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey all,
    Well spring has finally seemed to arrive.  I for one am glad to see the snow go and the nice weather starting to arrive.  With the end of weather, so must hibernation end.  It is time for our annual spring tank tour.  This event is scheduled for April 10, 2010.
    For those of you who are new to the club/area.  A tank tour is just that a "tank tour".  We travel to different stops and view peoples tanks in their homes.  The tour usually lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 hours depending on the number of stops and duration of each stop. 
    If you are interested in being a stop on this springs tour just post a reply in this thread stating that you would like to be a stop on the tour.  I will then contact you via PM to get your information and build the schedule. 
    There are no prerequisites to being on the tour other then having a saltwater tank set up.  Even if you do not feel that your tank is mature enough or in good enough shape you are wrong.  Each setup provides value to the membership and if your tank is having difficulties this is a great way to get some of the veterans eyes on your tank for some pointers on where improvements could be made or issues that may have been overlooked.  So please throughly consider being a stop on the tour.
    Please keep in mind that there can be no tour without tank stops on it.  Please sign up to be a stop.
    Thank you,
    Jeremy Orchuk
    CR/IC Trustee

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well lets speak up people. I will show my tank if you dont mind a bio cube.

3. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my tank is full of nice coral and a really nice algae/cyano poulation right now...I don't think people would want to look at a BioCube with what is going on....hopefully I can get it under control soon.

-Justin

4. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hey it wouldnt be the first time we have seen cyno or algea hair. people need to start speaking up or one bio cube is not going to make a tour.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can be a stop if anyone is interested in coming down this way. There is also Bill and Jim's tanks in Hillsboro and Mt. Pleasant, so quite a ways from Iowa City area.....I know there's a tank in Kalona and a few in Iowa City (Elliot/Eryak) and Eric's tank in North Liberty. It'd be nice to have some tanks on the tour that we've never seen /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think its good to see new tanks as well as mature tanks. Everyone has a slightly different set-up, so its nice to see the differences etc and see how each person deals with plumbing, heating issues, arranging rock, powerheads and of course the different coral and fish are always fun to see. I think any tank can be beneficial to other members as there is probably somebody with a tank that is the same age or is going through a similar issue or what not.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll tentatively be a stop. Mine is pretty new and I'm battling the initial algae bloom right now (I need to get a GFO reactor hooked up), but I can be a stop. It's basically rock, frags and algae at this point. I do have a potential conflict that might prevent me from being able to attend/be a stop; hence the reason for the tentative.

--AJ

8. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    crap, i'm going to have to miss this. My dad is coming down to help me tile my master bathroom (half ripped apart right now) that weekend. This sucks I have to miss this, but the wife will not appreciate putting it off for a "fish thing"

-Justin

9. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I also don't like the date if it could be changed at all, as a newer member I've yet to go on a tank tour, and I would love to, but George is playing in DM and we have to go!!! A side note, I know I'm out in the sticks, williamsburg area, but I would love to be a stop sometime Heck, I'll buy beer and make some snacks!!![​IMG]

10. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ok, this is just plain sad. this is the best meetings other than fests and nobody is speaking up. We dont care what your tank looks like or how big it is. Enter name here to sign up so I can go on a tank tour. Where is all my cedar rapids people at. Reefdumb Im callin you out. As well as Jay and William

11. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im not scared everyone can come poke fun at my setup.

12. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ill volunteer. im in NL.

13. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So far we have the following stops on the tour.
    nick
    phishcrazee
    AJ
    williamh
    gravattj
    Kirklinsclowns
    Anyone else in for being a stop?

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought Bob was going to be a stop too...check with him.

--AJ

15. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats right, "What about BoB!"

Ok, adding Bob to the list, we will have to shut it down there as that is 7 stops.

16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    If you guys want to come this far south you can count me in. I could even grill some food and have a few beers on hand.
    There is also chad varner who is a member who lives about 5miles from me and has a 600gal+ system. I could see if he would be in for this. Also Reddog Sean Dudd half way in between fawns house and potroasts.
    -Bill

17. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I told NICK I could be a stop. But I work nights and that is my weekend to work. If I can be a stop between 2pm and 4pm I can be a stop.

18. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sweet. dumb has a sweet lps dominate tank. The president of the EIAA is planning on tagging along on this event as well. Should be a great event.

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can be a stop if we need another one in CR. If not, no big deal.

-JB

20. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont need to be a stop if we need more spots my tanks just a cruddy tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif.