1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

April or May meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Guest, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to mesh mod my skimmer! so count me in for that as well!

Does anyone else have any DIY projects they want to work on? So far it just sounds like we're all getting together to build my ATO (and grill, drink, and play rockband of course!).

Anybody have any tanks they need drilled? or want to add an ATO to their system?? (fyi i'm probably going to build one that needs a controller/timer to function)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, how about we mesh mod every pump that anyone wants to bring to the meeting? That should be easy enough.

Wayne, I figured it'd be bring your own food and beverage.

3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 30 gallon bow front I may want to drill.

I also have a link for a nice DIY kalk stirrer at home I may want to try...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Post up the link, I'd like to build one myself.

I have the equipment to drill. For smaller holes I have NICE equipment to drill.

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good byob, byof. I got numerous drills if you guys want to bring the bit.
    Phil, i would like to build a ATO as well, but i will prob. just watch this time.
    With the skimmer i ordered and the HOT TUB pump i just bought, my budget is gone with the wind.

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You end up getting a MSX skimmer Wayne?

7. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://jjgeisler.com/reeftank/diy_do_it_yourself_projects.htm

And here is a scary one...that actually seems to work...
    http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?=&p=1198970

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 04/16/2008 6:32 PM
    You end up getting a MSX skimmer Wayne?
    Yes, i got the MSX 300 , i actually ordered the 250, but after some thought i upgraded to the 300 for 60.00 bucks,
    hopefully the thing is a beast like the 250. [​IMG]

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    WOW! The 300 looks like it should be a beast! For the extra $60 I'm sure most people will probably do the same thing you did! Can't wait to hear what you think of it after you get it up and running. Did they say how long it would be before they're instock?

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a email confirming that it was shipped yesterday, I believe Rob said it would be two months before they were back in stock.
    I was extremely lucky to get one, they said they only got 5 or 6.
    Also 12" diameter looks like it will handle alot.

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One of you computer guys want to post a google map of my address.
    Or i can just write it out.

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone alive anymore??????

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for those of you who don't know where I live my address is 7320 Southview Dr. in DSM....it's right off SW 9th between Army Post & County Line Rd.

14. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm still alive Wayne, and excited for some grilling, rock banding and drinking....and of course DIY! What is everyone planning on DIYing?

Thanks to Ryan Holl's gracious offer to provide mesh for anyone that wants it I'll be bringing my needlewheel skimmer pump.

I also need to re-wire some computer fans to work with an AC adapter. Now that it's not 30 below outside my tank temps have been in the mid 80's a couple times so I need to get that taken care of soon (plus my T5s should "perform better" but I'm not exactly sure what that means, more PAR, longer life?)
    I've also re-decided that I'm going to use a dosing pump for top-off, and just "dose" RO/DI water at equal intervals throughout the day by turning it on/off with my controller. I hope this helps my skimmer stay consistent (its gone crazy on my twice in the past couple weeks) and allows me to start dosing Kalk.
    In order to start dosing Kalk I would prefer to have a Kalk reactor, and I've seen a couple pretty simple plans online, and I know that Ryan Holl and perhaps Ryan West are interested in also building one - so maybe we should decide on a plan/materials list so that we can order anything we might need to build these...and that Wayne has all the tools /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    I liked the first one at the top link Ryan West posted, and I also found this one that looks pretty similar - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7841413#post7841413 What are your thoughts Ryans and anyone else who is interested in building a Kalk reactor??
    Finally Wayne do you have any soldering tools? My controller battery panel doesn't work cause one of the wires has come out of the soldered connection so I have to reset my clock anytime the wall plug decides it wants to come loose from my controller a little so I'd like to fix that.

15. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, Phil i don't have one but i could probally get my hands on one if someone in the the club doesn't have one. Does anyone have any extra bulkheads i could buy off of them?????????????????????????
    I would like to plumb my getto sump.

16. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any extra bulkheads, but if the Ryan's and I end up needing to order anything for our Kalk Reactors we could probably get you some bulkheads from the same site...

17. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know.

18. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't think I am going to make it tonight folks. Got too much on my plate and not enough funds to build anything (well not enough funds being replenished hehe). Have fun and see y'all next time.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got food and beer for you if you do decide to just drop by.

Look forward to seeking everyone else tonight.

20. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It isn't really that. I have both in abundance either in the garage fridge or the deep freeze. I just need to slam the internet with resumes. I have a couple of really good potential jobs that I have interviewed for but you know the routine..."We have a few others to interview and will be making our decision shortly..."