1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Biocube 29 PC lighting to LED lighting... all done! (with pics)

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by jimmy_beaner, May 20, 2011.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Plenty of reasoning to leave the innards.  First, the stock shield protects it from water splash and salt creep.  The stock fans also provide cooling.  I have complete coverage of the tank without any hint of banding.
    I'm using a Cannon T2i... love this camera.  Those pictures are completely unedited.  I didn't even resize them... photobucket did.  This camera is capable of some amazing pictures.  The LEDs make it hard to take good shots.

2. Patrick

Patrick Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks amazing! And yeah, I have noticed that such a massive site tends to lack interest in some topics/projects that should draw much more attention, yet is flooded with responses to items that honestly don't deserve the attention. That seems to be true of lots of world wide websites, though (my wife's artwork gets very little attention on one of her art websites, and then random items that truly suck get 10K views and 500 comments in one week, makes no sense... perfect illustration, if you check out For Sale there is a thread I started, there is a picture she drew of Marilyn Monroe that she posted roughly the same time someone else did of their own Monroe portrait, her's has a few hundred views nearly a year later, the other person's has 10K+ views... the other person's is HORRIBLE, but has several hundred comments telling the person how great it supposedly is.)

Nothing against ReefCentral, great site for information and have had some great conversations there, but it does tend to migrate towards multiple posts about how bad an idea is instead of recognizing a great idea.

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Yeah.  I would've assumed more Biocube PC owners would be interested.  Ultimately, I don't care because the project was for me, but if there had been more interest, I could easily write up a "how to".  It's a very easy project.  A LFS owner asked me to come up with a price to build one for him to sell, so now I need to decide what I liked and didn't like about the build to see if I can make it better (which I know I can).  I know it's a good project, it worked flawlessly.  The hood needed very minor modification to work and still looks completely stock but now doesn't have the light limitation of the stock PC lighting. 
    Now to build my phyto and pod culture assembly /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  Does anyone around here culture their own?

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be careful with this. DIY is one then, selling for profit is another, and you can get into licensing issues pretty quick. Look back into the LED debachle of a few years ago where companies were being shut down for producing led reef lighting without the proper permissions/patents. On such a small scale, I wouldn't suspect problems, though.
    Just a friendly caution. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

5. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I understand. I haven't built one yet, or even thought about pricing. I love building them though. It's a lot of fun. I can't wait until I'm out of school and ready for a big tank so I can build a big LED set up.

6. Patrick

Patrick Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I were you I would sell it as a service, not a product; put a price on the assembly process itself, and charge for that, not the finished product. So lets say it takes you 10 hours to build one, ask yourself how much you think your time is worth? Market wise, you could probably charge 20-25 an hour and that would be a fair price. The customer would be responsible for buying all the parts (you could provide a part list and supplier list to make it easier, or any other combo), but just keep it to you being paid only for the assembly itself, nothing more and nothing less.