1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Can anyone recommend a Data Recovery company?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Waverz, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just noticed the hard drive with all my kid's baby pics took a dump on me today.

It has been clicking for a few months and of course I meant to backup the data and now the drive is dead.

I have some of the pics printed but would really like to be able to get the data back.

I've looked into some data recovery websites but there are so many at so many price levels I just don't know who to trust.

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a company recover one of our Harddrives about 5 years ago, about $2250. We used CBL http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/

3. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah its not cheap. I can do it if drive is still functioning,but not booting. If its clicking and dead you have to take the drive apart and put the disks back in a new drive case to get it recovered. I sure hope they have made it easier then that by now,but not sure.

I think we have all been in your shoes before.

KP

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have found a place that charges $30 an hour and got a couple quotes for $750 on up.

I've heard of people swapping out PCB boards on drives but this is an older drive. Finding the exact same model with the same FW and and whatnot would be a total crap shoot.

The drive had been clicking for about a month every time data was accessed on it. It still spins up, it's just no longer recognized by windows.

Guess it's time to build a dedicated NAS storage box.

5. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you removed it and tried accessing as an external drive? This has worked for me once.

6. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's called a RAID 1 array. Get one set up! Buy a matching hard drive and forget about it! CHEAP

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Tried it, no luck.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Wanted to do this for a long time just haven't been able to afford anything.

I've gotten a few quotes from a few different companies and seems like it's going to run anywhere from $300 to $1000.