1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

cat owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xmasia, Mar 18, 2010.

1. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would like to bring a cat back to our home. he is  8 yrs old fixed and declawed in the front. we raised him from a baby for 5 yrs and when we moved here left him with family at the house. he is an indoor outdoor cat. if we bring him back home we wont be able to let him out, so my ? is how much of a problem will there be with him and will he adjust?

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I think it depends a lot on the individual cat. We have one that was raised indoors, but she will bolt outside any chance she gets. It's been 4 or 5 years and she has not given up on her mission to bust out any chance she gets. Our other cat was born on a farm, but has no interest in going outside. Not very helpful, was I?

3. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We have a cat that we have had since 12 wks and never outside (except for a handful of times). Like Vikubz said, it will depend on the cat, but the only thing I would be concerned about is teritorial markings if there is any, ANY scent of a previous animal, it will mark its new ground. Be prepared for that.

4. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it does depend some on purrsonality.  Whole males do 'roam' and will mark territory.  Very seldom do neutered or spayed cats spray.   several years ago when i moved one of the cats i took with me was an indoor/outdoor and an avid hunter. she would bring me presents on a daily basis. at that time i lived on 5 acres so she had lots of room. when we moved to 'town' she became an indoor only cat and has never tried to get out.

All you can do is try. if he tries to get out tell him no in your best 'parent' voice. i would also suggest you confine him to a couple of rooms for a few days until he gets his legs under him unless he is used to going places... it will be less stressful for him in the long run.

Mary

5. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to agree with the every cat is an individual line of thought. We have three cats that were outdoor/indoor for a few years, then indoor only at one place, and indoor only where we are now. Only one of them makes a serious attempt at getting outside. The other two mostly sit in the sun.

But I think "loving home" trumps "outside" by a whole bunch.

6. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thxs for the input guys and gals, ill bring him back if hes not going to be happy i can always take him back.