1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Clay`s Dart Frog Vivarium

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deleted member 1172, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, since I've had to get away from reefing for the time being, I thought I'd try my luck with a vivarium. The cost is really what attracted me and I just can't quite seem to NOT have a tank of some type. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved frogs, especially poison dart frogs. I remember going to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha and being awestruck by the dart frog displays they had. Essentially, this is my homage to those tanks. As ofright now, I do not have any frogs and need to get my stand drilled so I can get the water feature plumbed, the substrate in, and all the plants planted. Thanks for taking a look, stay posted for updates! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, nevermind the mess! I'm sure you all can relate to the mess made by setting up a tank of any kind! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/tongue.gif

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a good start. The biggest word of advice I can give is be careful not to over plant and DO be mindful of the things you put in your tank. My tank is slowly being over run with fern and a couple other varieties. Not a huge deal a PITA because it needs to be trimmed back constantly. I really wish I would have stuck to more exotic orchids. I spent days working on my background now its completely covered.

Are you planning on doing a water feature? I had a pond and waterfall at one time but due to the large amount of light the pond always turned into a slime pit. The waterfall is still doing great however.

Welcome to the hobby.

4. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Alright Clay! It looks very interesting!! I'm excited to see this put together :0) Keep the pics coming!

I don't know anything about those frogs. How poisonous are they? I hope you don't get...how do they put out poison? Thank God you're a medic!!!!

5. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

In captivity they aren't poisonous. They get that from their diet of poisonous insects. Unless he's gut loading crickets with neuro toxins, he should be ok /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

6. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks you guys!! Waverz, I'm planning a small water feature toward the open end of the tank, kind of like a little fountain or bubble rock. If there's going to be a pond, it'll be super shallow and mainly filled with semi-aquatic plants. As for plants, I'm pretty much done buying for right now. I'd like to get a few jewel orchids and a couple tillandsias as well. Otherwise, I just want the bottom to be primarily leaf litter and mosses with more epiphytes on my driftwood pieces I have. This whole thing is exciting!! Hoping to have it done here in the next couple weeks!

Also, just like nrenn, it's the frog's natural diet that makes them poisonous due to the metabolites that are produced. I'm just going to feed wingless fruit flies! Nice and easy! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

7. Rdub

Rdub Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Orchids in these types of tanks are so awesome! Nice build, very creative.

8. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Going to do a little self-promo bump here! Big update coming very soon! Stay tuned! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

9. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright, after a long wait here it goes!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to let things grow in a bit, get the microfauna going, and plant a little more before I put some frogs in! The plants do look a little haggard right now, but that's because they've been growing in plastic cups until this point. Give it a week and everything will start establishing and growing like crazy!!! Thanks for staying tuned! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

10. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick little update for you all! Enjoy! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Check out what I got yesterday!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bigkel

Bigkel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That little dude is bad ***!!

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Yikes! I forgot to subscribe so now I'm seeing and "learning"! It looks awesome Clay! I'm happy to learn that the frog(s) will not be poisonous :0) How many frogs will you have in there? Does one try to breed them? Where do the frogs originate from? What kind of lighting is used? How often do you feed? Maintenance? I have no knowledge when it comes to this so educate me! :0)

14. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lol well Sponge, it would be a pleasure to put some info on here about these guys! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif Thanks for subscribing! In captivity, they do not ingest the insects that they need to create the alkaloids that cause them to be poisonous. I have two frogs in here that are Dendrobates Tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini" and they originate from the Sipaliwini region that lies in Brazil, Suriname, and French Guyana. I'm not sure of the origin of these two guys I have now, they were purchased from a guy, who bought them from another guy from Wisconsin. After that, I am completely unsure of their lineage. As for lighting, I use just a 36" Tek T5 fixture. Frogs do not need UVB lighting, so it's more for the plants. The color temperature averages around 6500K to 6700K depending on how many bulbs I turn on. I have two 6500K bulbs on a timer, the other bulbs I just manually turn on for aesthetic purposes only. As for feeding, I feed every other day. They get fed wingless fruit flies that I breed myself, and the flies are dusted in calcium powder because in captivity, the frogs cannot properly metabolize calcium. The reason why is completely over my head! lol! As for maintenance, there really isn't much other than feeding, trimming plants, and keeping the humidity up. I have a misting system that sprays for about 12 seconds every 4 to 5 hours. Otherwise, I just let it go. These are fun as all get out. I do miss my reef, but since I don't have time for one, this definitely fills the space!! I am actually going to be doing another build VERY soon! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif Stay tuned!

15. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Interesting Clay ;0) Do they require a certain temperature? Do hobbyists breed them? How many can be kept in the same tank? Can you mix different frogs in the same vivarium? Tell me more please :0) I'm going to have this someday :0)

16. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These guys do not need a heater, just ambient air that stays above 65 degrees. Most lighting systems are enough to heat the tanks (just like our reefs! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/tongue.gif) A lot of hobbyists are successful in breeding dart frogs. I plan on doing it myself if I get a breeding pair! Frogs aren't the easiest to sex, and my green sips (the frogs pictured) both look alike. It is said that females will be more rounded and the toe pads will differ. This isn't the case with the two I have. As to how many can be kept in a tank, it varies based on the species. Females of most species do not do well unless they have plenty of room to establish territories. Tinctorius are notorious for females killing each other. Males do not show this aggression. A 40 breeder could easily house 4 of the green sips as long as only 1 is a female. These frogs are more terrestrial, spending the majority of their time on the ground. Thumbnails (dubbed this due to their size) tend to be more arboreal, spending their time climbing. Thumbs are also significantly more shy. I talked with a guy that had them and he said he hardly ever saw them out. As for mixing species, that's never recommended due to territorial issues and the potential for cross breeding. Cross breeding of species is a definite no no!! lol that's the easiest way to get froggers up in arms! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/tongue.gif Anyway, if you're interested, Sponge, keep in touch with me! I'm planning on getting rid of my 40 gallon breeder and putting together a different set up. I could hook you up with a mostly put together setup and plenty of plant clippings! Also, if all goes well, I may have froglets for you too. Keep asking questions, I'm more than happy to answer! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    My goodness ;0) So, do you have a male and female? I can just imagine how hard it would be to sex them. How many babies does a female have? When there are babies, are other frogs a threat to them? Do any of the species hibernate? What kind of prices are paid for frogs? It looks like you might have a water sprayer? Do they require special water or do you use tap and treat it? Do the frogs get use to people or do they hide when someone comes up to the tank? Do they get sick and if yes, how do you know what's wrong with them? DO they make noises/croak? It doesn't surprise me that females fight :0) Typical! LOL How many flies do they eat when fed? Do you lan on having a bigger tank so you can keep more and different species? I never run out of questions! lol Thanks for the info :0)

18. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry getting back late to you on this Sponge! Been off the grid for a bit. As for my frogs, I'm sure I have two males. The size of the clutch varies drastically between frog species, age of female laying eggs, and conditions in which the frogs are kept. Most people actually pull the eggs out of the vivarium after they find a clutch to raise tadpoles individually until they are juveniles or at least sub-adults. Grow out systems vary greatly between hobbyists. Most do this behind the scenes where they have room to keep grow out tanks. These frogs do not hibernate because they are always in a warm, humid environment. I paid $100 for my pair, which is actually fairly cheap. The cheapest frogs I've found that are of quality breed and lineage are about $35 each. I have a misting system from Exo Terra that mists the tank for 12 seconds about every 4 hours, which is actually fairly excessive. As for the water I use to mist with, I use just plain old RODI water. My frogs are super bold, but some species are super shy. I've met one guy that said he RARELY saw his frogs. Rule of thumb is, the bigger the frog, the bolder it will likely be. They can get sick, the easiest way to tell is by their behavior. Most stop eating or aren't very active. To tell if there is something really wrong with them, fecal samples can be sent to a lab to be tested for certain bacteria, parasites, or fungi. You can also swab the frog with a sterile swab kit to have sent in to test for disease. Some species are very vocal, but only call under certain conditions (wet tank conditions, presence of females). Only the males call. Tinctorius do not have a loud call (my frogs are Tincs), but Leucomelas will make your tank area sound like a rainforest, which is cool. When feeding, I just go by looks and how much my frogs eat in a few minutes (like fish!!). So that varies all the time. I am actually going to set up two tanks to replace the 40 breeder, that way I can have two different species. I also plan on setting up two 20 gallon tall tanks vertically to keep smaller, arboreal frogs. I definitely wouldn't mix any species in one tank unless you have YEARS of experience with them and have a large tank. I'd say a minimum of a 125 gallon and have a species of terrestrial and an arboreal species. Keep up with questions! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif I like answering them!