1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cleaner Clams Group Buy

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bud, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    We are in for 10 plus would like to order a few snails (~$25) so you wouldn't have to order additional clams if you don't want them. I can paypal to whomever is coordinating...

2. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I can do it. ill have them deliver Tuesday on my day off and people can pick them up anytime on tues

3. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Please post in this thread exactly what u want before 11pm and I will order it for Tuesday delivery

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Matt - thanks for coordinating! Here is what we would like to order:

- 10 cleaner clams - $30
    - 1 group of 10 Spiny astrea snails - $19.99 - http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Spiny-Star-Astrea-Snail--Group-of-10_p_6082.html
    - 5 bumblebee snails @2.79 each = $13.95 http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Bumble-Bee-Snail_p_4524.html

These prices are before any additional discount. I assume our order will qualify for the additional 10%? Just let me know how much it is and I can paypayl you the funds.

Thanks!

Dave

5. bladerunner Well-Known ReefKeeper

des moines
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I Would Be In For One Order Of 5.

6. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    We are over $250 so 15% off

7. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    5 here please.

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Order placed
    I will post here on Tuesday when it arrives
    Everyone can pay me in cash when they pick up there items
    Dave $63.92-15%=$54.33
    Bud, dallbers, Chris $29.98-15%=$25.48
    Djvanzuuk, Hart $14.99-15%=$12.75

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Well That sucks! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gifI wanted some but didn't think we were in any rush. Thanks................/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif

10. areefoffaith

areefoffaith Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good thing you waited for everyone ellse i always hear about these things after they are done

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The order was placed quickly to take advantage of the extra 20% off that ended last night. It happens sometimes, I didn't know that was going on until 1/2 way through the thread. If it works out, I'm sure there will be another one.

12. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like there is more interest, so it is just a matter of someone organizing another group buy.

Thanks Matt for taking on this one.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0

Yeah - I'm anxious to see how they work in your tanks. I'd be interested in getting a few - but my weekend was too busy to consider this yesterday.

14. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Matt - can you post or PM your address? Thanks!

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    1919 E21st

16. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we can report back after a week or two on how things worked and then organize another order!

17. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    If anyone really had their heart set on some I can give up my 5. $12.75 worth.

18. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Yes, it does sound like there is going to be more interested in buying some...YAY! I will want some/several on the next go around then! It would be VERY INTERESTING if those who are getting them this time would test their trates and phates prior to putting them into the tank. Then provide an update on survival rates, how many/g used and test results for a few weeks. This would help those better judge how many clams they would need (and those who didn't get enough the 1st time around) and how effective they are at reducing nutrients. Also, indicate if you fed/ are feeding more.... Any changes to CA, etc...

I am curious though, maybe just a little dense? If they feed on particulates and bury themselves in the sand, how do they get the food/poo...? Also, the organics that are already in the sand, do they consume that too? I know when I baste the sand (for my sponges), it is just a cloud of dissolved organics... Does anyone know what effect it will have on nassarius snails?

19. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I can confirm the two I have in my pico reef work great. My nitrates went down to nothing after having issues with small amounts due to the size of the water column. I got them at HyVee and the meat dept guy looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for just two clams. I felt like Chris Rock asking how much for one rib in "Im Gonna Git You Sucka". I never purged them though, probably should have, but haven't had any issues since I put them in a year ago. They definitely take in all the loose nutrients. I never see them as they are constantly moving in the sandbed.

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif Classic!!

Which Hy-Vee did you get them at? I looked in at least 3 plus WalMart and Waterfront and couldn't find any. Though Waterfront said they typically came in on Monday or Tuesday or something.

I suppose if they are good enough to eat they are good enough for our tanks, I guess the main reason I thought it would be better to go with saltwaterfish.com is that (I assume) they are raised for tank use. Maybe I should ask them /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/plain.gif