1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Clear Tubing... local dealer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jimmy_beaner, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I'm looking for 1.5" clear tubing for a project that I might turn into an "on the side" business. Does any one know of a local seller that can get this tubing somewhat inexpensive? When I look online, I can find it for $1.88/ft... but the shipping cost is more than the tube ($18 for a 6' tube). This ends up making the one clear tube more expensive than the entire rest of the project combined. If I could find it local and avoid some of those shipping charges, it would be awesome. Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Lowes has it, bout the same price per ft. It's the thick wall stuff tho, not sure if that's what ur lookin for.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Where is it? I would buy it today... Hell I'm even in Cedar Rapids right now. If you reply before I'm done teaching, I'll swing out to Lowes and buy it.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    If you can find the product name/number, I can find it a lot easier. When I search on Lowes.com, I only get flexible clear PVC tubing. I'd really like rigid tubing.

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Sorry thought that's what you were lookin for, didn't specify. It's flexible but not so much, its very stiff,thick wall not the thin kind, I wouldn't consider it flexible tho as I had to use fittings where I wanted it to bend. Are you looking for more of an acrylic tube?

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Not sure what its for but...I've bought those 3' gumball tubes for my kids from dollar store for $5, ridgid clear about 1.5 and 3' ....just an idea lol

7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I might try the flexible tubing.

8. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Straight back from the doors 3rdor2nd to last isle on the left. Hopefully the tube cutter is there cause its thick lol!

9. ThyRaven

ThyRaven Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ace on Center Point Rd in CR has a wall full of it. Head in the door and straight to the back by their window screen repair center. Cant remember cost per foot though.

10. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I'll check it out. Thanks!

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I just called and checked. They do not have clear, rigid tube

12. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Stuff at Lowes wouldnt work out/not stiff enough? I looked online and those tubes are pricey with the shipping! Are you making something tank related? Could help with finding alternatives.
    Are we talkin something similar to this?
    [​IMG]

13. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    You need to find an actual plastic supplier such as cope plastics in Hiawatha. Problem with cope is you need to be a business looking to buy repeatedly. Craig with ac&c gets his somewhere in blackhawk county. That supplier might work with DIY people. If not Cope will refer you to a retailer who you can buy it from and will typically be just a 10% mark up; far cheaper than Menard's mark up for acrylics.

14. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Yes similar to that. It is not for fish related purposes. My PhD is in education and I am making kits to help with some lessons on model based inquiry. For these kits, I need the clear tubing for the students to build their models out of. The clear tubing allows them to see inside for how the mechanism is behaving that PVC wouldn't allow. This is also why I need it to be a decent piece of tubing because students can be somewhat hard on materials and I'd like it to last awhile. If all goes well and there is decent interest, I would be ordering some quantity... but yes, the shipping on a small order is ridiculously high.