1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Clown fish question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borky00, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I have a 90G and it had 3 CF in it. One Ocellaris that is about 3 inches and two snowflakes that were added about a month later that are about 1.5 inches long. They were getting along just fine for a couple months until Friday night the larger of the two snowflakes is starting to pick on the smallest one. Chasing him all around the tank. I removed the Ocellaris and put him in a QT because I like the pair of snowflakes best.

The other two are still not getting along.:( Even when there is a bunch of food in the tank to distract them the larger snowflake is still chasing the smaller one. I see the small one does get some food but not much. I do not see any ripped fins or anything like that but I am worried about over stressing the small one. :eek:

Will this stop do I need to put the larger snowflake in a time out?

2. MillerTime Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I had a pair of black and whites that did something similar. The larger(female) was the aggressive one and would chase the smaller male. Never hurt him or nipped any fins. Eventually they seemed to get along better but she would still every now and then chase him away. I gave both of them away and later heard that the female would bite the hand of anyone that got close in the tank when cleaning. I think she was just a huge B****, lol.

3. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like you have two male snow flakes trying to set up a pecking order the bigger fish was the female the next the beta and the smallest the underling ..... Either give it time or pull the smaller one out..... Lol or play some Barry white

4. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    How long do you think I have before I need to remove one?

5. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    hey i bread clowns an a little avice i can give you is two bye one more ocilaris smaler than the one yo have now and put it with him and give them 2 weeks in your qt and your biggest one is the female small one is male your clowns will fight for maby a week and i recomend having lots of fish houses and clowns love flower pots clay non painted they will host in it and put one pot on each side of your tank i had the same problem with my black ice clowns and a osillares and now have no problems they are only fighting to figure out who is the domaniter one witch is all ways the female/larger one they are only fighting cause your little male is jellus it dont have a female and a key tip i can give you man win having more then 2 clowns is two all ways have a even number of them and all need to be diffrent sizes so this dont happen and your osilaries has been in there longer i highly recomend you go out and bye a larger osilaries clown or at least bigger than the larger snow flake clown and put it in your gt for a month or so with you other osilaries so they pair up and that way it will give your snow flakes some time two pair up and then put your osilaries in with the snowflakes and they will be fine ive done this for 10 years with lots of clowns and it works .

6. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    females are b****** for sure and are relly smart they will bite you when hands are in tank like the ones in my 29 cube i have in my little sisters room when i mantnace the tank i chace the female and she goes to her flower pot and i flip it up side down till im done lol .

464852_2663704995408_2067887807_o.jpg

7. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Cameron, that is so true, the largest one (the Ocellaris) likes to nip at my fingers when I am cleaning the tank. That is how I caught it, I just put the glass scraper in the water and then scooped her up with the net with the other hand.

so If I get another clownfish between the second and third larges one it will pair up with the largest in the QT and things should be fine? Does it need to be a Ocellaris or can it be any type of clownfish?

I think the largest (Ocellaris) was taking to the smallest snowflake for the month or so that they were all getting along.

So far the smallest one looks healthy but I am just hoping the chasing ends soon or someone will get stressed out. i really like the snowflakes so that is why I pulled the Ocellaris.

8. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    it can be any kind

9. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Save yourself the headache and keep only 1 pair in a 90. Ull have to have incredible luck to keep 2 pairs in a 90 without a war at some point in the future, could be soon could be later but my money would be on sooner. And you'll be back to 3 or just a pair
    Its also different when all the fish were born and raised together and/or you have a VERY large tank with lots of territory.

my .02

10. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Well I am sad to report that the littlest snowflake did not make it. He was nowhere to be seen Thursday. I think the clean up crew made short work of him. I checked the sump just in case he found a way to get in there.

I moved the larger Ocellaris back into the DT and all seams to be well.

I had a bad feeling the stress was going to do him in. :(