1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

CR/IC Tank Tour, DIY Calcium Reator, & Barbecue! June 27th

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Jun 18, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whats this, another big DIY event for the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City GIRS folks!
    Event Info Link

It is true, we have gone crazy, Another DIY event is on tap for Saturday June 27th (2 in the same month [​IMG]).
    The general plan for the event will be:
    Estimate a start time of 11:00am or 12:00PM
    A small tank tour of 2 tanks:
    Fawn - 1st Stop
    Rick    - 2nd Stop
    This will be followed up by a DIY demonstration of Rick's DIY Calcium Reactor, several of the GIRS community is already running the reactor with great results.  This is you chance to see how to fabricate one for yourself or to sweet talk Rick into building one for you (for a modest charge of course).
    We will be following that up with a Barbecue event.  Rick has said "I am the greatest griller in all the land!".  Well Rick, we are going to put you to the test my friend.  Alright you got me there, Rick did not say that, but, what the hey it was meant for impact.  Hamburgers and hotdogs, with fix'ins will be provided at no charge.
    So please, clear your calanders, get you car fueled an plan on joining us for the event.
    The DIY food event held on June 13th was a great success, and we promise this one to be not so messy and smell a whole lot better!
    See you all then!
    Details of the time, event locations, and directions will be posted next week some time in the members thread.  I will place a like to that thread here.  So check back early next week.
    Again if you are not a member of the club and would like to use this chance to use up your one free event pass please contact me and I will PM you the information.
    Jeremy Orchuk
    GIRS CR/IC Regional Trustee  [​IMG][​IMG]

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm taking off work for that day for sure. Is there any of the food left from the DIY on the 13th? I would buy some if there was. It was my birthday the 14th so I was out of town celebrating and couldn't make it...

Adam

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cyber- Could you put me on the "test-driver" list. I think this event will be great! Is there anything other than money needed for getting membership setup? I'll bring my passport, birth cert., and try to get my mom to sign a waiver for shark bites and the like. :)
    And if I become a member can my gf join me at events from time to time? Shes not currently a reefnerd( /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif I know right...), but I'm workin on it! She doesnt eat much, and it might help my situation of being nagged about spending too much time with my tank if I can get her to be bitten by the reef bug!

Thanks in advance

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well it turns out I couldn't get the day off work. I went in last night and they already had the new schedule up and I'm down for being the manager that night, so there's no way I can switch with someone. I really wish I could get more of a heads up on stuff like this because I've missed a couple of these things due to scheduling conflicts...

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry to hear that man, there will be more later on hope fully they will be planed farther out next time. This was kind of an improve deal at the last minute.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By adampottebaum on 06/20/2009 08:05 AM
    Well it turns out I couldn't get the day off work. I went in last night and they already had the new schedule up and I'm down for being the manager that night, so there's no way I can switch with someone. I really wish I could get more of a heads up on stuff like this because I've missed a couple of these things due to scheduling conflicts...
    K, I will try this event had been posted for about 3 - 4 weeks, we just decided to combine the DIY stuff at the last minute as we did not have enough tanks to fill a tour, so it was either this or cancel.  However, I will endeavor to try to give as much heads up as possible and will start trying to plan July and august stuff now.

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-Rad and I have been tossing ideas for a DIY date for a while. At first I thought it would be a good idea to have it the same day as the tank tour, but we were thinking more tanks would be involved so we post poned the QC DIY demo for a later date in July or August. Then once it was finalized that only two tanks would be on the tour we jumped back to having the DIY same day as the tank tour.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cyberjester- Did you have a chance to read my above post  ?

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jmadison, Send him a pm with your info and state that you want to attend the DIY/tank tour and he will take care if that.

If you want to join just click the Join Girs button at the top of the page, just follow the instructions to become a member of the most Elita web site in existence!! OK just kidding.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick- thanks

Would you happen to know the rules regarding tag along girlfriends and such?

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes you can bring your girl friend, if shes cute she can stay with me! LOL. Just kidding!

The only thing that I would have a concern with is any young children at this DIY, There will be saws and routers going I don't want to have to worry about little ones!

( so please leave the kids with the baby sitters! ). If your coming just for the tour then they are welcome, but not when we start the tools up.

Thanks for understanding!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No little ones here! :) but definetly a good heads up, thank you sir.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it. We're having family in town and too many 4th of July festivities going on that weekend. Sorry guys...I really wanted to go.

--AJ

14. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to here that AJ, I will send your bottom panel with Jeremy.

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet. Thanks for making it for me Rick!

--AJ

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I might try and make it to this!! Ill be the newb there :)

17. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to give a heads up, that I will have frags available if anyone is interested. Some will be freebies and others will be for sale. I can get a list up of what I have that can be fragged :)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no way!!! haha, frags!! Thats awesome!!!!!  Do you perhaps have pictures of some of the corals you will be fragging and names???

19. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't be fooled by Fawn's frags just because they are free.....they are absolutely awesome, I have a few from her myself.

By the way, Fawn. Did you get the plumbing done in your sump?

20. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, whoever is going to the BBQ please PM me or post in the QC thread that you will be attending. I will be buying the meat and want to have a rough idea of how many people will be there.