1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

CR/IC Tank Tour, DIY Calcium Reator, & Barbecue! June 27th

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Jun 18, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/25/2009 09:08 AM
    Thanks for doing the name tag thing! It'll definetly help me out.
    Hey no problem, thanks for doing the girlfriend thing, IT'LL DEFINETLY HELP ME OUT! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Just a note, there was some incorrect information on the address for Rick's place in Muscatine, so If you have downloaded or printed the directions already.  Please get them again. 
    Thanks
    Jeremy Orchuk
    CyberJester
    GIRS CR/IC Regional Trustee

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CyberJester on 06/25/2009 11:30 AM

Hey no problem, thanks for doing the girlfriend thing, IT'LL DEFINETLY HELP ME OUT! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Wow, she 'likes' my tank(well liked) but wasn't a wealth of knowledge or anything necessarily helpful, but maybe when it comes time to get my replacement corals she'll come in handy! Either a diversion while I "shop" in your tank or maybe she can clean your glass for frags or something. BAHAHAHA[​IMG]
    and ya didn't it say Rick lived in Mesculine in the old post? Isn't that a drug? Well I guess a lot of the chemical knowledge and equipment can probably serve a dual purpose or atleast a good cover story!   
    (Page 3)

4. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/25/2009 01:13 PM

Wow, she 'likes' my tank(well liked) but wasn't a wealth of knowledge or anything necessarily helpful, but maybe when it comes time to get my replacement corals she'll come in handy! Either a diversion while I "shop" in your tank or maybe she can clean your glass for frags or something. BAHAHAHA[​IMG]
    and ya didn't it say Rick lived in Mesculine in the old post? Isn't that a drug? Well I guess a lot of the chemical knowledge and equipment can probably serve a dual purpose or atleast a good cover story!   
    (Page 3)
    Nice, hang her out with a sign, "Will work for frags", or the infamous "Free Tank wash".
    Hey, by now you have to be realizing that you have to be "smok'in" something to stay in this hobby!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CyberJester on 06/25/2009 01:34 PM

Posted By Jmadison on 06/25/2009 01:13 PM

(Page 3)
    Nice, hang her out with a sign, "Will work for frags", or the infamous "Free Tank wash".
    Hey, by now you have to be realizing that you have to be "smok'in" something to stay in this hobby!
    Between her sign and me switchin my 14k halide bulbs for some 6000k bulbs and seeing what sorta plant growth I can get.... maybe I'll be back in the swing faster than expected LOL. I have a couple boxes of reefcrystals maybe i could trade from some manure and planters...
    [​IMG] J/K...

but seriously ...

no j/k[​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the fun and food everyone! Fawn, thanks for the frags, keep your fingers crossed! Rick thanks for the informative demo and for opening up your home! Thanks to GIRS for the food /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif.

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to say thanks for another great/fun meeting.

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for coming! I had a great time and I hope everyone learned a little some thing about how to work with acrylic.

Thanks to Jeremy for putting this on and Girs for the food!! For those that didn't make it, you missed out on JB's famous BBQ! Thanks JB!
    It was nice to meet some new faces and make some new friends.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! Was a good time. Rick, super nice setup man. Has to be the cleanest/most attention to detail setup ive seen yet. Super nice. Nice to also meet a few of you guys! Andrew, cant say much for you bro ;-)

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agree...it was a great meeting and was good to know that there's a lot more that goes into working with acrylic than I originally thought. Rick, you sure have a great setup for working with it. I really like your new table...how you have your table saw and soon will have your router built right in..very nice. And your tank is looking good. It looks like you had as much or more fun before you added the water as you have since. Definitely well thought out. And let me know if you ever want to get rid of that dendro frag...I like it a lot!

--AJ

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ I'll put your name on that Dendro! And thanks for the comps.

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, thanks everyone for coming and thanks Jeremy for setting it all up. Rick- we were going to come for the BBQ and to see your tank, but the weather looked questionable, so we decided w/ an infant and toddler we'd stay home. Also, Sorry JB and Jeremy about the directions (and anyone else!) I listened to your message after you left and I feel bad you went all the way to Lone Tree, lol.........glad you made it after all that though!

13. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK,
    I would like to say thank you to Fawn and Rick for opening up your homes to us.  If had yet to see either of your systems and I really enjoyed getting out to see them.
    Secondly sorry to all about the directions to Fawns, don't know what happened there, I hope it did not inconvenience any of you. 
    Third, special thanks to Rick, I know it was hot out in that garage, especially while working with power tools.  You housed us for most of afternoon and it was greatly appreciated by all of us.  Your home and tank were lovely and your setup was inspirational to all of us, disregarding my joke in previous post.
    A big thanks to JB, he maned the grill and made us all some tasty treats for dinner, JB - you can cook me dinner any time! [​IMG]
    Josh, please tell the girlfriend thank you for being such a good sport about the whole date-for-a-day thing, I owe her a frag for being such a great sport, maybe if she comes over and a picks a frag of her own off my trays and watches it grown, you will have a reef chick in the making and she will grow as addicted as the rest of us.
    Lastly, thanks to all who drove the distance for the event, I think it was another great event and it was nice to meet some new faces.  Sorry all about forgetting the name badges.  As I told some of you, my family and I foster Basset hounds and we lost our first one because she was adopted.  So it was a happy and sad day for me, I was happy to see her find a permanent home, however, she had been with us about six months and we had grown very attached to her.
    Thanks all.
    Jeremy
    GIRS CR/IC Regional Trustee

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking for some pictures from the event. Specifically, right after the demo, during the rainstorm, right before the bbq. Anyone?

And don't forget Ice this time!

15. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/29/2009 06:20 PM
    I am looking for some pictures from the event. Specifically, right after the demo, during the rainstorm, right before the bbq. Anyone?
    And don't forget Ice this time!
    Nice, why is my girlfriend requesting one? [​IMG]
    And after I just offered up a free frag to your girl, you do'in me like that, I see how it is! [​IMG]

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HAHAHA! Sorry buddy! I don't suppose you got your reactor up and running yet?

Sadly I may need to wait a bit for her to go get her free frag, that purple cap fawn was so gracious to give me isnt doing so hot. The slimer is still looking good, but I NEED to figure out just what the h3ll is going on in that tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif.

17. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jmadison on 06/29/2009 09:33 PM
    HAHAHA! Sorry buddy! I don't suppose you got your reactor up and running yet?
    Sadly I may need to wait a bit for her to go get her free frag, that purple cap fawn was so gracious to give me isnt doing so hot. The slimer is still looking good, but I NEED to figure out just what the h3ll is going on in that tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif.
    Nope, haven't yet.  Actually my Calc is high right now and am trying to reduce.  Rick took all my money [​IMG], so I have to save up to get C02, media and pump now.