1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

cycling tank/water testing

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good advice, that makes sense!  I'm heading out to Sea of Marvels tonight to get some crabs and maybe a fish too, I'll check and see if he thinks I should start with just 1 thing at a time though since it'll be my first time adding something.  It'll be nice to finally have something in there besides sand and rock:)  yay![​IMG] 
    Thanks again!

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, Start with inverts and 1 fish. Check the ammonia every other day, and if it's ok after a week you can add another fish and so on. Go slowly! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that Sea of Marvels was a pretty cool place, my first time out there.  He even fed some sharks for my daughter while we were there:)  Ended up getting half a dozen snails, half a dozen crabs, a peice of live rock, and 2 clownfish.  Hadn't checked the boards this afternoon before I went, but I wasn't planning on getting that much to start with, was thinking I'd have to go a little slower, but he recommended it and I figured I could trust him. Let's hope everything ends up ok.  I'll keep checking the water. Been having lots of fun watching the critters/fish tonight:)  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much did he charge you for the rock? I would never spend $12.50/lb. He's insane selling it at that price.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually it was 12.50/lb but I only got 2 1/2 pounds (1 peice)  I already had rock, just wanted 1 peice of live rock to add to it.  I guess it's one of those things I really hadn't checked into how much it usually goes for.  
    Honestly the pricing of things isn't bugging me too much, it's my husband whose the "tight wad" and couldn't believe how much 1 peice of rock, 2 fish, some snails and hermit crabs would cost.  he, he I feel like I'm the opposite of most people on this site who are usually talking about their wives/girlfriends being upset about how much things cost./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    His rock should be $2-$3 a pound. Haha, he said if you buy 300lbs or more he drops the price to $10 /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I got my rock on ebay, 160lbs for $400.