1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Danimal new so be nice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Danimal, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Danimal Inactive User

Wilton IA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have had freshwater fish for awhile now.

Have been reading and viewing saltwater lately....I might be catching the bug to start one up

I am a little nervous about setting one up

any and all advise greatly appreciated

Dan

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the world of saltwater. You've taken a very good step in your journey by joining the forum and asking for advice. This is a great group and we'll do our best to get you started on the right path. You're close to a very active region in the Quad Cities. Watch their regional forum for future meeting dates, and get to know some of the locals. Local members can be your biggest one on one help.

The biggest thing I can tell you about saltwater is take your time. Nothing good happens fast. Are there ways to move fast and be successful? Sure. Are they the best methods for someone just starting out in the hobby? Not at all.

Figure out what tank fits your space, budget, and your future plans with fish, coral etc. Meet up with some locals to get an idea of how they set up their tanks. Once you get somewhat of a plan together, and have a list of equipment you may be after, post it for some critique and advice. You may find that you're missing some much need equipment, or buying something that's really unnecessary for your system. We'll let you know, and don't worry we are all very nice around here. Instead of throwing you to "use the search button" we'll just give you an answer or point you to the needed information. We really do want everyone to be successful in the hobby.

3. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I will say welcome as well!

From my stand point, I would echo the figure out what tank fits your space and budget. If you keep an eye out on the forum you can find a lot of the stuff you need for a fraction of the price. There are several tanks for sale currently that would be good snags.

For me and for a lot I know, a little bit bigger tank is easier as a starting tank. 40+ gallons is where I would look at starting.

Any questions let us know!

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Welcome!

5. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! I started with a 29 gallon biocube, which I felt was perfect. When two of my friends took the plunge into saltwater, I helped them set up biocubes too. They are basic "all in one" systems for the most part. Setting up slowly and researching compatibility of livestock is key. Maintenance is pretty simple. If you aren't ready to make saltwater yet, buying 5-10 gallons at a time for water changes isn't too difficult. This is a great place to ask any questions you may have.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I am on the other side of this. buy as large of a tank as you can reasonably afford. The more system water you have, the more stable your system will be. You can still make small moves by starting the system up right, cooking the LR before putting in the tank, and allowing the tank to cycle and run for 6 months while you take the next steps. Yes, I said 6 month, because that is generally how long I feel you should let a reef tank run before really putting anything of significance in it.

Read item #15 on this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

That should be your general guide for the first 6 months.

Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum on this site. Post a thread that you are WTB (willing to buy) an tank/stand/sump setup and see what you get. I have it on good authority that someone will have a 125 reef ready tank with stand and sump and rock going up for sale soon...there's always someone tearing their system down and this allows you to get a lot of equipment for a fraction of the price. So start saving $$ and make the move when it's the right one for YOU...

7. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Welcome! I agree with Bud about getting the largest tank you can affors/have spece for. More water volume is very, very helpful when it comes to stability. I also agree with blackx-runner on taking it very slowly. With saltwater, it is expensive but you can save money too by grabbing things need from other hobbyists. Good filtration and flow is very important as well as lighting. Many of us started in FW and some still have FW/cichlid tanks.

Although it isn't necessary, becoming a paid GIRS member has many benefits. You can attend regional club monthly meetings, get into our Fall and Spring Fests for free, just to name a couple perks. There is a store in your neck of the woods, Coral Haven, who is a GIRS member and Sponsor. They will provide you with quality stock, good guidance, etc when you're in their area.

Like you have seen already, everyone has their opinions :0) What you will want to do is consider all but then make the best decision for you. You will come to know some reefers have the same or similar approach to reefing that you will have, others' not so much. You definitely have come to right place! Happy pre-Reefing!! :0)

8. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. You will always want a bigger setup so you will save some time and effort by doing it big up front.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Also worth noting is the one of the most common reef tank sizes in the hobby is the 75 gallon. The 75 is usually what I recommend as a minimum for many reasons. You can go very far with just a 75. Decent volume, good footprint, etc. A 48" tank is good to have if you are using T5HO lighting as that is the most common lamp size.

10. saltwater fisher

saltwater fisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree go big its easier to maintain

11. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!
    Sent via App 2

12. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. I agree going to fast will most likly cause many issues which will put a bad taste in your mouth. Saltwater is in a way just like freshwater as in you have your water changes that are due and some fish can only play nice with others. I say read as much as you can and make of list of wants and post them. From there we can help you out as in if its needed or not. Make a list of fish you really like to have and lable them as your number one and so forth. Alot of great people and help on these forums. Be sure to check out the buy sell trade thread also some really great deals on there to help save money