1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Des Moines/Ames regional get-together

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by beckerj3, Jan 7, 2019.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    OK. CHANGE OF PLANS. I AM CANCELLING THE EVENT FOR TODAY.

I talked to several people that planned to come today, and that was the concensus. So, instead of having the event for only 4 or maybe 5 of us, I will look at rescheduling. I am trying to contact everyone else, to let them know.

@Waterrat41@Waterrat41 @Barrett@Barrett @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay @pwfish@pwfish @Maureen@Maureen @Sponge@Sponge @DangerJ@DangerJ

2. pwfish

pwfish Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Ok got the message. Roads don't look that good in Ankeny, so think that is a good decision.

3. I'd like to drop in if there's a re-schedule :) Saturday the 26 is a no-kids weekend for me.

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    Sorry that we had to postpone the event. But it seemed the best thing to do.

I'm out of town the next 2 weekends, so the next time it could be at my house would be Saturday, Feb 2nd. Does anyone want to host it on Sat Jan 19th or Sat Jan 26th? Easy enough to do. The club will cover the cost for the pizza. And I've got door prizes already purchased.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I forgot to add - it would be a great opportunity for someone to show off their tank. @Barrett@Barrett - I'm sure everyone would love to see your new frags from Battle corals (I know I would....) or @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay - you could show off your implementation of the overflow (I can't remember what it's called) - its super quiet.

6. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I will also be out of town the next 2 weekends.

7. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to check with the wife, but I wouldn't have a problem!

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    That would be super if you could host it! Let me know and I can help with the posting.

9. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will do!

10. isufishtank

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I’m brand new to reefing and GIRS and would love to drive down to DM on the 26th to meet some people! I’m also looking to buy a few easy frags so if anyone had a few I could purchase when I come that would be awesome too :)

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I won't be home by this weekend. I will be home the following weekend and could host on Saturday afternoon if there is enough interest and it doesn't snow again that day.

@Region: Des Moines & Ames

12. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I am available that weekend

13. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Feb 2nd is no good for me, but by all means don't let that get in the way of a good get-together :)

14. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry y'all, I couldn't talk my wife into hosting this weekend! I can come if we have it next weekend!

15. 2nd won't work for me, but the weekend after I will be there, but likewise, don't let that get in the way of a good get-together for the rest of you! :)

16. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    The GIRS annual business meeting is the following weekend - Sat Feb 9th.

17. PNelson

Moscow, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know someone that is looking to get into this hobby? I have a complete 24gal JBJ nano cube. HQI light and ballast, everything!! Even protein skimmer. Only needs water, fish, and a water. Free to anyone that will enjoy it. Must not he sold at all.

18. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Tis Sunday afternoon is a maybe for me, otherwise I'm not available this Saturday or the next 2 weekends after that.

19. Dylan Jones New User

Waukee, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My friend and I are both high school seniors. He has watched me set up my reef tank this past year. And has been putting aside some money to start his own set up. I am sure he would love to take it, and get started in the hobby.

20. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    Please continue this discussion in a private email. And/or @PNelson@PNelson - make this a separate thread in the des moines/ames regional forum or buy/sell/trade forum. Thank you.