1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dog lesson learned..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ray, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Late Thursday I was in my basement getting things ready for the tank tour, cleaning up putting things away. When I went upstairs I noticed the dogs had gotten into a bottle of Rhimadyl (anti inflammatory for dogs) that the cats knocked of the kitchen counter (atleast I think). We had tried to induce vomiting at home, but that turned out to be very messy, so we rushed all three dogs to the emergency clinic. Two of the dogs had to be given medicine to induce vomiting and then given a reversal drug and a charcoal treatment. One got sick on the way home and left a mess in my truck. We had to clean a couple messes up at home and had the carpets cleaned on Saturday. We have had to keep an eye on them to make sure they are drinking and eating good without getting sick again. On Monday we have to take all 3 in for follow up blood work, at this point all seem to be doing good.

With all this going I decided to pull out of the tank tour, sounds like I missed a great bunch of tanks. They are all 13 this year and have been a big part of our lives.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
  2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Im glad you adverted disaster!

3. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hope all ends well!! Always good to know there are responsible pet owners out there!

4. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Looks like the one dog has already forgiven the cat....

Glad that they are on the mend.

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Glad they are doing better!!! When youve had em that long they are like kids to ya. The dog and cat cuddlin', thats awesome, my bulldog woulda gobbled up any cat within 10ft. Hope they have a speedy recovery!

6. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Darling pet family you have there! I'm glad you took good care of them and they're doing well. I've had some scares over the years with my dogs. One specifically that comes to mind is the time my chihuahua took a chocolate candy bar out of a grocery bag on the floor that hadn't yet been put away. I found the foil wrapper. I didn't know which of the 4 dogs ate it, and almost had to rush all of them to the doggy ER. Fortunately, on a last-minute hunch, I checked out my chihuahuas favorite treat hiding spot (borrow in blankets) and there it was!

7. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel your pain and I pitty your pockets. I know what that visit cost for 1 dog let alone 3. I just had blood work done on my Weimaraner. Hope all is well.

See that is why we don't have cats, they would try to kill the dogs. That and my family is extremely allergic to them.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You gotta watch them cats man. They are evil LOL.
    Glad you caught it in time and got them taken care of.

9. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well we got some good news only $1100.00, but only one dog had elevated levels. 7 days of medicine and she should be good to go. Thanks for all the kind words.