1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Feb 20th - Let`s talk skimmers and DIY mesh mods

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by AJ, Jan 20, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone!  In Feb, I'm going to be helping out Jeremy and Troy with the regional event and I was thinking about doing a meeting on skimmers.  Talk about types of skimmers (beckett vs. pinwheel vs. downdraft, etc), how they work and some DIY mods that you can do to improve the efficiency of your skimmer.  I plan to have some materials, but just generally, it will be an open discussion on skimmers.  Bring your questions!
    Through the generosity of another club member, I should have the supplies to do some mesh wheel mods for those of you interested in doing this.  I plan on bringing my skimmer and doing this mod at the meeting so we can all see how it's done.  I've never done one before, but it looks very easy.  If you want to come and see how it's done, then do the mod to your skimmer at home later, I can send you home with the stuff for this mod free of charge.
    So who is interested?  It will be in CR somewhere (still working on a place) and I would like to have it on a weekend so we can get as many people as possible.  Answer the poll and let me know your thoughts.
    --AJ

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Do you know what time this will be at? I have a make-up Marketing class that day until noon that I can't miss.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't see any reason why we couldn't do early afternoon. I think most of our other Sat events have been early afternoon events.

--AJ

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    AJ, your package is en route. I modded a rio 1700 for my diy skimmer and it is really easy.

Mark

5. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good to me, and maybe by this time I may have a tank on order, etc.

-Strong

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think I'll be able to make it. I seriously need a new source of inspiration when it comes to my tank...

7. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's hard to imagine JB...your tank IS a source of inspiration !

8. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 01/21/2010 09:01 AM
    I think I'll be able to make it. I seriously need a new source of inspiration when it comes to my tank...
    Just give everythign away and start over!   j/k
    Have you thought about trying to imitate different kinds of reefs or systems in the world, i.e. south pacific versus hawii, or asia, etc?
    -Strong

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Mark!  For those attending the event, Mark is contributing the Enkamat (the mesh material) that we will be using for this meeting.  There should be enough for at least 8 (figuring quite conservatively) mesh wheels...plenty to go around.  Way to go Mark...thanks for your generosity.
    --AJ

10. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Will this be recorded/documented?

I can't attend as Saturday's don't work for me (I'm the lone 1 @ 12% vote right now) but would like to see what the discussion entails.
    As I have a downdraft skimmer I don't believe (could be wrong) that a mesh mod would do anything for me but I would be interested in seeing what comes of a general skimmer discussion.
    -Eric

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think recording meetings like this and getting them online for club members would be a nice improvement going forward.

-JB

12. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 01/21/2010 04:09 PM
    I think recording meetings like this and getting them online for club members would be a nice improvement going forward.
    -JB
    Don't we have the bandwidth for a live simulcast of the meetings?
    Joke....[​IMG]
    -Eric

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm exploring options on what can be done for recording some of these events and putting them online for member reference.

--AJ

14. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I might try making this pending weather. I love skimmers! I might see if I can do the enkamat for my skimmer...hmmmm

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We'll have it on hand at the meeting and you can take some back with you.

--AJ

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like we'll have a decent group for this. Please save the date. We'll tentatively schedule it for 3 PM...stay tuned for a location...still working on that.

--AJ

17. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    AJ - maybe we could do it at your place so we can see your new setup !? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Always a possibility....

--AJ

19. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Maybe that would force you to finally get it done! I remember when we picked it up there was no snow on the ground...seems like ages ago!

20. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just order some dominos pizzas for $5.99 and have a good time.

P.S. May have ot kick the family out of the house for a few hours if all these strangers are coming!!

-Strong