1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

flathead fishing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikesams05p71, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mikesams05p71

mikesams05p71 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else do any catfishing or other fishing? Been doin alot of flathead fishing. Usually go to redfield or adel dam since i live in earlham. How about you?

2. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Lol Flatheads are my favorite fish to catch! I have been fishing for them for pretty much my whole life! I do most of my fishing in the Racoon river.

3. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fish flathead all the time on the cedar!!! Biggest one to date is 65 pounds! With the river being up not a lot going on how I like it. Waiting on the river to drop about 2 or 3 feet

4. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Where do u hit the racoon at? Heard its decent by perry. Im on vacation til july 6th but hopin itll be down when we get back. Thats a bit flathead! Any pics? Would love to see that. What do u guys like using for bait?

5. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Meant big flathead. U arent too far from boone and the des moines river. My time that i go is 10 pm to 4 am usually

6. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I usually stay upstream of jefferson. Ive caught mutiple 35 pounders but cant seem to top that number lol. Last year my friend (who has only been catfishing for 2 years) caught a 48 pounder.
    I prefer to use chubs early in the season, then medium to large bluegills come july and august.

One thing I hate is when ppl keep the large ones, its like they dont realize how long it takes them to get big(a 50 pounder can be between 50 and 75 years old). And then they wonder why theres not as many large ones as there were 20 years ago.

I dont eat fish, I only catch and release, but my friends who do eat the dont keep anything over 15 lbs.

7. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like bullhead and sunfish. I set up a small tank in garage to try and always have a handful on hand. Ive never fished up towards you. Ive been trying to plan a nite trip to the des moines river. Wish water would drop so i can get my fishing canoe out. Go find some holes. And ya i agree on catch and release. I throw everything back. Might start keepin a few small ones to eat but seems like alot of work lol. Im in montana right now then colorado a few days then nebraska a few days BUT i am fishing as soon as i get home. Wifes gonna have to deal with it lol