1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

free mandarin dragonete, immediate pickup

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    not sure if you all remember awhile ago I posted a topic about how to feed them I use to have two mandarins and I trained both of them to eat frozen blood worms from my hand or a algae clip somwhere there are probably still pics on the general forum i think ill try to find the pics again on my comp. I know this was not just a fluke , I did it to my buddys also when his was looking alittle thin and within a couple of days the madarin took right to it. Just thought I would add this info for future refernce when having a mandarin. Hope this helps someone.

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung had a couple 2 inchers a while back.  Figure I can grow them out and then find them a bigger home, or upgrade :)

3. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that is where I got both of mine I had one of each kind they got along pretty well

4. 75g brat

75g brat Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so is the mandarin gone

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep, Brandon picked it up today. Thanks all.

6. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey glad that it kinda worked out. Sorry for your headaches. Come and see me @ the swap and try some free sps ( if allowed ). No hard feelings, I would be POed if it was me but I would be even more POed to lose a LFS store to some bad publicity( bad employee ). As a rebutle to DewDad the RK2 unit in question was a $340.00 purchase w/cost of extras, not $35 for a Mandarin (sorry again matthewj). And weather you know it or not The RK2 unit was for your son. Who saved for ever for this purchase. I was kinda POed, I would do the same for any friend or GIRS member.

7. Frenetic

Frenetic New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everybody,

This is Randy Reed with Reed Maricluture and we are the producers of the Reef Nutrition product line, and specifically the Tigger-Pods that Adam's Aquatics sells. Adams did NOT remove the labels from their bottles. One of our employees forgot to put the "bottled on" labels on ALL of our Tigger-Pods this week (and possibly last week) so every bottle that went out was missing the labels.

Tigger-Pods usually culture very well in sumps or refugiums. Usually when they don't its because they starve to death because they don't get enough microalgae. Tigger-Pods are large copepods and have a high metabolism so when you add a large quantity of them to a reef system they will very quickly deplete the small amount of algae that naturally grows in the system. You must supplement with a microalgae concentrate if you expect rapid growth rates. Tiggers don't grow well on green algae like Nannochloropsis, they do much better on brown algae like Isochrysis and Pavlova, or diatoms like Thalassiosira. If you plan to culture the Tiggers I'd suggest feeding at least once or twice a day. If you use a high quality microalgae you won't have any problems with increased nitrates or phosphates.

About 80% of mandarins can be trained to feed on non-live copepods. Copepod concentrates can be used to supplement live copeopds to help fatten them up, especially if you system is not producing large quantities of live copepods.

I hope this is helpful :)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Randy. Thanks for the update re: labeling.

I do want to make a comment about the other info. I don't disagree with any of it, but would like to clarify. I use phytofeast and phytofeast live to supplement. I have always had pods. My tank simply doesn't appear to be big enough to support enough live pods for this Mandarin. I do not believe that any reasonable amount of supplemental pods would have met the long term care needs for this fish in my tank. The original advice that I received was to simply dump in pods once a month. That might work on a larger tank or in a sump/fuge, but I disagree that it will work on a smaller tank with much less live rock.

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely correct! I think everyone would agree you can't pour in a cup full of pods to support even one mandarin. They eat a ton and you HAVE to HAVE a MATURE tank to support them. People try and try to ignore this rule. I commend you for saving one of these beautiful creatures. I absolutely love mine. Brandon will take great care of him.

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FWIW - he seems to be doing quite well still very shy and hides most of the day. I will keep a close eye on him.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How's the Mandarin doing? He was always a bit shy...he would slowly swim to the back if you got close to the tank. He certainly didn't hide though...so I think he'll get over that. He probably just missed me:)

I have pods coming out of my ears now and it's been what, not even a week?

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He is doing well.... hard to tell but it looks like he is gaining a little weight back another week or so might notice more of a difference. Yesterday he was out the most of any of the days I have had him so he must be settling in and the powder blue has stopped picking on him.

13. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A litlte update.... this guy is looking good. He has filled out nice and getting more active but still don't see him all that much.