1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Free - P4 2.2g Ghz / 533 / Socket 478 CPU

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AJ, Jan 9, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If anyone has an old P4 PC and needs a CPU, I got one you can have.  It's 2.26 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, Socket 478.  I was getting a replacement CPU for a family member's PC and I got a 533 FSB CPU instead of a 400 MHZ FSB so it's incompatible with the motherboard.  Anyway, I'm scratching it up as a loss so if you want it, you can have it free.  Let me know.
    --AJ

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Lee on 01/09/2010 03:31 PM

Would it be compatiable/ any faster than what I currently have?  Here's the specs of my comp, only I have 768mb ram ( it's gotten really slow over the last couple months)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/specs.htm#1101572
    Lee,
    It would depend on the CPU configuration of your current PC as the link you posted references the capabilities but doesn't mention what your clock/FSB is.
    If you're running anything slower than 2.2ghz 533 fsb, then yes, however if you're running anything faster, say the 2.40, 2.53, 2.66, or 2.80 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally then no.
    If you're unsure, one quick place to see the CPU clock speed is to "Right Click" on "My Computer" then select "Properties".
    Good news is your MB can support this CPU!  (Assuming your board is socket 478...I haven't run Intel since 1995 and don't know their sockets)
    As for speed...if you're running anything newer than Windows 2k you may want to consider more ram...
    -Eric

4. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that link only showed the capabilites afterwards...oops.
    I tried checking the properties, it says its a pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.79ghz but doesn't say anything about the FSB size or socket.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Lee on 01/09/2010 09:15 PM
    I noticed that link only showed the capabilites afterwards...oops.
    I tried checking the properties, it says its a pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.79ghz but doesn't say anything about the FSB size or socket. Then in theory, and in looking @ the board specs, you shoud be running 400 mhz FSB so the chip from AJ will be faster.  The other thing you need to consider is whether your current memory will run @ 533 mhz - if not, it will need to be replaced as well.
    This software should tell you what you need to know about your current setup:
    Intel® Processor Frequency ID Utility

As for memory, you can price it online from various sources, www.newegg.com is popular
    Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR533D2N4K2/2G - Retail  for $49.99
    That chip & 2 gigs of ram @ 533 will make quite a difference in your current setup...
    -Eric

6. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    According to that test, I have a 1.8ghz, 400mhz system bus, and 512kb L2 Cache Memory. I'm pretty sure my memory is only upgradable to 1 gig, I'm not sure if it would be worth is for the additional 256 mb

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looks like you can run at either 400 or 533 FSB.  If your memory is fast enough (capable of the 533), I would throw this chip in.  Not only would you be getting another 25% of CPU speed, your memory would be running faster too.  Might make an appreciable difference...
    --AJ

8. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if nothing else I could just throw the old one back in right?

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but you you may need some new thermal grease for the heatsink. That being said, you'll probably have an easier time getting the heatsink off of the CPU when its warm, so run the PC for a while, turn it off, then take off the heatsink while the CPU is socketed. When will you be around to pick it up?

--AJ