1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FS? Pair of Red Tail Boas and Jungle Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bela, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As many of you know, we are moving to New England at the end of the summer. We are going to have to do quite a bit of down-sizing, and part of that may have to be my snakes, so I am gauging interest on these guys. 
    All three snakes are roughly 5-6 years old. The red tails are about 6-7 feet in length and the carpet is maybe 8 feet. When I got the red-tail pair, I was told that they were male and female, however I have never confirmed this. They are in enclosures that I built, with 1/4" tempered glass sliding doors and locks. The tanks are stacked with spacers in between; the bottom tank has rollers for easier movement. I'd say materials alone on the two tanks ran about $300. The red tails seemed to like dumping their water dish, and the caulking on the left side of the tank allowed some water into the wood. As such it is slightly warped. It has been completely dried out and resealed since, though.
    While I would like to see a little money back for these guys, my number one priority is to find a home for them where they will be properly cared for. While they aren't necessarily a whole lot of work (especially compared to a saltwater fish tank), these guys are heavy and strong (but tame!). They do require a large rat, medium guinea pig, or small rabbit once every 30-60 days. We bought a chest freezer specifically for rats, fish food, etc. as rats are much cheaper to order in bulk and keep frozen than they are to buy individually from the pet store; I use rodentpro.com and highly recommend them. They often offer coupon promotions of $15 off your order, which ends up being about 10% after shipping. Shipping with them is basically a flat rate, so your best bet is to fill the box (their calculator will help you with that).
    There are some pics below of the snakes in their enclosures. I was using shredded paper, but have since moved on to just using newspaper. Less messy, and easier to clean. You could really use any reptile safe bedding you want, and some people like to spiffy up the tank for looks, however I just took the cost effective approach. Any questions, please PM me.
    [​IMG]

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Getting a few questions here, that I will try and answer...
    As far as what I am looking to get, as mentioned, my primary goal is to have them housed properly. That said, if this comes to being more or less a donation on my part, I would probably rather donate them to a zoo for some public education. There is obviously no question that they would be well cared for there. Some ball parks for babies are $150 a piece. Adults aren't frequently seen on sale, at least not that I have seen, so it's tough for me to pin a value to them. Enclosures ran me about $300, as mentioned, too. These are just ballparks and my costs here. Bottom line, make an offer. I'll be setting up a 27g cube in Boston and basically starting from scratch, so trades would be ok. Nothing alive, nothing wet, and has to be easily movable (lights, pumps, etc.) We are also into biking, so that is a consideration.
    The enclosures are 49" wide x 25" deep x 24" tall. This includes a basic fluorescente light with timer. I have not ever used a heating element with these guys as they are kept in the living room which is always pretty warm (80-90 degrees year round). You can certainly add heat tape to a section of the bottom of the enclosure. No part of the enclosure actually touches the ground (minus the feet on the top enclosure and lockable wheels on the bottom) by design.
    Yes, I would be happy to include the chest freezer. It is 5.0 cubic foot chest style freezer, plenty in terms of storing rats, fish food, etc. After a shipment of 40 some rats We only had it about 1/3 full. Below is a link to the freezer.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidaire+-+5.0+Cu.+Ft.+Chest+Freezer+-+White/9756985.p?id=1218202122611&skuId=9756985&st=chest%20freezer&cp=1&lp=1