1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Getting rid of fleas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dead fish, May 21, 2013.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Anyone have any tried and true methods that won't compromise your tanks? I've been putting Advantix on the dogs and spraying some stuff on the floors and furniture, but I can't seem to get them to go away.

2. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Sprinkle borax all over your carpets before bed then vacuum it up in the morning do that every other night for a month you can also use damatious earth

3. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My cats got fleas last summer. I used Frontline for 3 months and vacuumed often. I put a flea collar in the vacuum bag to kill the fleas that got sucked up. The fleas were eradicated after several weeks. It's not a quick solution, unless you want to bomb your house...which you don't !

If your dogs go outdoors, you might need to also treat your yard with a pesticide.

4. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think we got them becaus e we've been taking the husky tio the dog park. Had never had a problem before. Advantix is supposed to be super awesome at killing and preventing fleas, but so far, not so much.

5. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used Advantix last year and had no problems. Were you using this prior to the infestation or after? If after I better look into another product.

6. vacuming daily and dog baths along with capstar{( 5$ at any vet) kills all flees on dog in 15 min} and a good preventitive like frontline have worked for me in the past,

7. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Dog got Fleas back in the day I had Freshwater and the only way I was able to get rid of them was bomb the house. I wrapped each tank in cling wrap and turned off all pumps and anything leading into tank was covered. I did all the step above and it just didn't do it. Bomb got the job done. It can be done with care. I might add that this was in our basement only and only our area rug was down there. I burned every rug down there and my dogs kennel too. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Killing the fleas are simple, killing the eggs is another story.

KP

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I've used frontline on my dog since he was a pup and have never once had flea problems. I make sure to start very early spring and stick to the monthly dose. Luckily I have never had them, but I know fleas can be a ***** to get rid of. Good luck on the eradication.

9. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We don't have any carpets in our current house but when we move to our new place there are carpets. Want to get rid of them before we go.

10. Hope you get it figured out before you move into the new place! Good luck!