1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Going to Orlando, FL and places to see.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by adampottebaum, Aug 15, 2013.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Hey I'm looking for places to go in Orlando, Fl this next week. I leave Saturday and get back the following friday, so I will have a couple days in there to "venture".

Me and the wife want to go snorkeling, so first off we want to know a good place to snorkel. I'd like to find a good coral reef to check out.

Is there any good LFS's down there or other aquaculture places I can check out?

Also, any other non-aquatic places I should check out, please let me know! We'll be down there a week and are spending 2 days at Universal Studios and another day at the water park, but will need something aquatic to get my reef nerd on!

-Adam

2. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to mention, we're renting a car so we can drive within reason...

3. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Sea world was awesome when I went there of course that was 25 years ago /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Man you're old!

JK, but we will be going there for one of the days to see what all the talk is about...

5. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Downtown disney which is the bars near disney world... universal.... anything on international drive... bubba gumps....downtown universal. ...downtown Orlando has great food ect.... pollo tropical is great cuban food.....

6. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    A good place to snorkel would be nowhere close to Orlando. ... you would want to go to the keys or Miami for that.... there is a good lfs over near Waterford lakes in the ucf area next to buffalo wild wings... I used to live in Orlando theres all kinds of stuff to do lol.... as for the waterpark which one are you referring to cause there is more then one lol
    Universal is near international drive so there is all kinds of tourist stuff to do there... bubba gumps is there I def recommend that place to eat

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    If you are thinking of SeaWorld and snorkeling you may want to consider Discovery cove. Granted, it is in Orlando so not a real reef but the fish they have in their artificial reef are really cool...plus admission includes an unlimited 2 week pass to SeaWorld, Bush Gardens and Aquatica (their water park which is kind of cool)...oh, and all the bud products you care to drink while you are at Discovery cove. It is pricey but when you factor in all the other parks incuded it is not a bad deal but you do need to make reservations in advance. As Donny noted above, I don't think there is a real reef within a reasonable distance of Orlando.

http://www.discoverycove.com/Default.aspx