1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Got a new Phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kpotter2, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hello all,

I got a new phone and with that lost a lot of content, but will build it back up over time. Text me if you have been in contact with me recently. You should have my number. I went from an Android to a Iphone so I am a bit out of sync, but doing ok.

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up that I may lose a few contacts so please text me if you want and let me know who you are. Cloud service didn't back up everything like it said it did. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

Thanks

KP

2. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Iphone?! Traitor! Haha jus kiddin. Kindof.

3. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I know I feel I would have never gone to IPhone,but my Android phones have all been crap and have to get them replace every 6 months. Very disappointed in them. Decided to turn to dark side. Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  4. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing. I can still use it on WiFi. Lol

5. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Someone needs to be a part of the 16% (and shrinking) smartphone market share... LOL

At least it wasn't the 4% Microsoft piece, or the less than 1% Blackberry share...

FYI that I am on the exact same HTC Android phone from literally 2 years ago. No issues, battery is still rock solid, etc.
    My wife had the exact same phone, but had it replaced 3 times... Mainly because of "user issues" (phone dropped, etc). Nothing that ever killed the phone, but strange things would start happening. She is now on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and no issues at all for the 4 months that she has had it.

I've dropped my phone too, but again, no issues and I am a pretty heavy user.

6. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's an iPhone...you will like it. Lots of haters though...they just don't get it...lol. Love my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac :) when everything works together it's awesome...I mean don't get me wrong if you like the color blue on your screen and spending lots of time getting rid of viruses windows rules :)

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You did what????? I thought you knew better than that. LOL.

the most popular and the latest and greatest are made with about a year life span I think. Great way for manufacturers to get us to buy new stuff. Don't worry, your iphone will be the same way.

8. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Posted By Allen on 03/11/2014 7:16 PM

It's an iPhone...you will like it. Lots of haters though...they just don't get it...lol. Love my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif when everything works together it's awesome...I mean don't get me wrong if you like the color blue on your screen and spending lots of time getting rid of viruses windows rules /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my gosh, Apple lovers living in the 90's... [rolls eyes] /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

If you love that same ol' stuff, but slick marketing telling you that you are cool only if you buy the latest (expensive) product, that is barely different than the previous one, then apple rules /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

For the record, I have worked in IT since 1991, I am Mac support certified, and Apple products have a higher percentage rate of critical issues/failures in real world application (they even tell you that in the Mac training), it is just that there are SOOOO many non-Apple products out there, that even with a smaller percentage of issues, you will sure hear more about the number of problems with Windows based stuff. Just a matter of how you spin the numbers.

I work for an IT Managed Services provider with more than 22,000 employees worldwide. For me specifically, the team that I directly manage supports over 14,000 clients (each with at least one computer) with 97.5% Windows, and 2.25% Macs, with .25% of the "stuff" that we support being what are called "Bring Your Own Device" items. Could be iPads, Android devices, whatever. Out of the 99.75% that we support that aren't BYOD stuff, those are all corporate purchases and configurations with tested O/S and applications installs.

Guess what part of that 99.75% we have the most customer complaints about? Yup... Mac installs. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif We spend almost 1 hour more for each Mac install than a Windows install just to get it to play nice with our client's advanced network security. Things that are put in place to product our client's data, plus keep bad crap from the world out of the network, just work with Windows, but we have to actually turn off that security because the Macs can't support it. Each of the locations across the US that my team supports has at any given moment at least 1 Mac with some hardware failure. With 13 locations across, that is about 15 Macs, or almost 5% of all of the Mac are down and out, waiting on a warranty part. Our percentage of Windows machines for 2013 had just 1.8% machines with warranty claims over the entire year. Sure, that 1.8% means just short of 250 machines, but that is for the WHOLE YEAR. The Mac numbers, with their average warranty turn around time of almost 4 weeks (some are REALLY long turn around times), means a statistical 180 Macs over last year needed a warranty repair. I don't have actual hard numbers of the actual 2013 numbers for Macs, but for Windows machines, those numbers ARE legit as I was just a part of a team who reported Windows support numbers for last year. The worst part is that our client pays anywhere from $2500 - $4500 for each desktop Mac not including and new software licenses, and $700 for each desktop Windows machine, and $1200 for the most expensive Windows laptop. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gif

So way more numbers than you wanted, but so many people have blinders on about the real (al beit corporate) world of Macs and PCs.

Now, if people like their iPhone, so be it. Its your money. Everyone is entitled to do what they want with it. Personally, I like real leading edge technology and advancements, so I pick Android and Windows. If you like the same interface and "experience" and being able to connect and share everything with the Nazi iTunes environment, go for it. I would rather have things work too, and I share just fine between my Android phone, my wife's different (newer) Android, my oldest daughter's different Android, all of our PCs, my HTPC, and even my Roku. The only device that doesn't play well with others is my youngest daughter's iPod. My oldest got rid of her iPod for an iPhone a few years ago, and then went Android and hated it for about 2 weeks, now she will never go back. She is 20, and at college, so it isn't her "crazy" dad (me) influencing her. Her boyfriend, who has been a Verizon store manager for 3 years was a die hard iPhone user until about a year ago, now he says that he can't believe that he didn't switch to Android sooner.

Again, for someone who is very "integrated" into the Apple world, it would be hard to move away from it (even if you wanted to). That is the goal of any capitalist company. Get you hooked in and make it hard to ever leave. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

So that is my soap box about the subject. I will say it again, if you like your Apple gear, enjoy it. Just realize that he Windows and Android world isn't as bad as Apple people keep pretending it is. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

9. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Holly sh@&$$&@t!!!!!:|
    IPHONE RULES

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted something different. Happy so far. I am a bigggggg windows fan. I have been working on PC for 20+ yours and Mac for maybe 5. It's not my profession but a side job.

11. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yaaaaaaaawn thanks Nick I needed something to put me to sleep. :) I'll read all that tonight. I have my degree in computer programming so I understand how it all works and all that fun stuff. Apple is Apple...and the whole market share thing...well duh...iOS is only on Apple products....that's a pretty big following for a 1 trick pony. You also have to consider they are probably factoring in pre paid and all that fun stuff in the sales numbers....so some kid still using Android Cupcake on a $15 dollar trac phone from Walmart still counts as market share I would imagine.

12. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry should have added...I own both. I have an Android and iPhone...use both to show how apps look on both for work. When I get home the Android goes on the table and the iPhone in my pocket. :) but really both are good phones...just different.

13. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do like where this thread is going though :) why cant they have this much normal back and forth on some of the saltwater forums I'm on on Facebook.
    However Nick funny story. I had a short conversation a month or so ago with Guy Kawasaki (and if there is one guy that should like apple it's him) and he absolutely hates hates hates the iphone. Lol however if you ask him the same question about pc's the guy will call you crazy for owning anything other than a Mac. Funny conversation.

14. tharnisch

tharnisch Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    although I love my Ipad, i really love my Galaxy Note 3 android phone. I haven't had a single problem with it. I had been on the verge of discouragement on android back with the Galaxy S1 and S2 as i had a lot of problems with those, but them my S4 was great, and then I jumped to the Note 3

15. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do you like the Note? My dad was talking about getting one and I told him I hadn't talked to anyone that has one but I liked the look. He was worried about getting used to using android...I was like think iphone but you can move your apps where you want...lol. (I know more to it than that)

16. tharnisch

tharnisch Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love it! its certainly a little bigger but you get used to that, and we use our phones for ALOT(email, facebook, tapatalk, etc...) My wife had the note 2 and really liked that, so she upgraded to the note 3 when it came out and passed on the note 2 to my sister who is using that now, and the Note 3 definitely stepped it up more, super fast, and responsive, nothing really slow or lags it down with the quad core processor. My favorite part is the battery life, I can use it all day for all those things, internet, and email and facebook, texting, and a few phone calls /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif and it last all day. Any previous phone, it would have to be plugged in at least once throughout the day as much as I use it. That is esp. important to me when I am places like a Food show where I am out on the floor all day and need to be in contact with my store, i can't afford to have a dead phone.

17. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome... Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!!!