1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hard Drive crash

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lee, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know this has been discussed here before, but what advice does everyone have for someone whose hard drive crashed.  I have a friend that this just happened to and Best Buy told her at least $600 and 2-3 weeks....  Sounds like they are just ripping people off to me.  Anyone have any suggestions or input?
    Thanks,
    Lee

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup thats a rip off considering you can buy a brand new hard drive for 100 bucks or so.
    for that amount of money they are asking to replace the hard drive, you can buy a really nice laptop.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    replacing the hard drive isnt the issue, its recovering the data.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I believe Lee was referring to Data recovery from a crashed drive vs. just buying a new one. Data recovery is very expensive, I have never had to do it but I know BB is high on a lot of things and it pays to shop around. I would look into some online data recovery services I am sure you can find something cheaper than $600.

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did the hard drive just stop working? i mean i have had this happen and what i ended up doing was buying a new drive, setting my old one up as a slave and was able to copy files over to the new one. alot of times when your hard drive crashes. its just the operating system and the bootup process that becomes corrupt. so you can still get into the file system if you can get the system to boot.

if this doesnt work for you another option and one i have used. i had a buddy in school doing software stuff, and he took it to school and they used it as a learning tool and it cost me all of nothing to get the data recovered.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My only advise would be to take it somewhere that doesn't require payment unless the recovery is succsessful otherwise they may end up throwing money out the window. Depending on how the drive failed it may be very easy or impossible to do a recovery. The best case scenario is that the controller failed... The worst case scenario is physical damage to the platters.

Good luck!

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If the drive still spins up and the pc still sees the drive to a degree, you may be able to try some of the data recovery software. Let me know if this is the case and I can point you in the right direction. If it doesn't spin up and the PC does not see that it's there, that effort would not work and you would have to send it off.

--AJ