1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hey from Davenport!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Southpaw, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey everyone! About 2-3 months ago I made the plunge into saltwater after keeping fresh for years. I have the biocbue hqi set up. My stock as of now is: 2 clown percs one orange one black, one six line wrasse, one yasha goby, and a couple inverts. I am open to all suggestions. I am a sponge ready to soak in all the information on keeping a reef. I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Thanks!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome!!!!

3. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the hobby! There are a lot of people out there that can help!

If you have any questions, just ask!!!

4. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey southpaw, welcome to the club. The QC region is having its very first meeting in its new permanent meeting location this Saturday ay 530 pm which just so happens to be a new marine aquarium store opening in the next week.

Be sure to stop by and join in on the conversation and get to know some of the people in the area.

Also be sure to check the QC area forum for more information on this meeting and more happenings in our area.

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome. You're in good company down in the QC area. Lots of knowledgeable members in that area, and rumor has it an awesome new fish store is opening up.

7. Mark 4

Mark 4 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In Davenport too. Just getting back into salt aquariums but having a tough time getting a Red Oak Monterey stand. Looking at 90 gallon tank to purchase but would like to get the stand first.

8. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmm. Come to the meeting on Saturday Mark, and maybe we can see what we can do about that stand.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you think anyone will be able to part with a small portion of chaeto? Been looking everywhere for some nearby

10. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can ask around. I know I dont have any at all. Are you wanting to use it for pods or something else?

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have the intank fuge basket for the back of my hqi biocube. I am new to the fuge concept but I would guess pods couldn't hurt? My stock love those critters

12. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    try using a simple sponge, or some rock rubble. will do the same thing for pod growth.

13. Southpaw

Southpaw Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh my main gaol is for the algae and water quality. I would see pods as a benefit with it. Am I thinking incorrectly? I just bought the jbj nano led to light this fuge.

14. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    An HoB fuge is not going to be big enough to do this. Come to the meeting on saturday I will will try to explain a little better.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay I'll be there. I just researched it pretty thoroughly and seems to be common with the all in one tanks. It isn't a hob fuge, it's in tank.

16. JLreef

JLreef

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We too have the BioCube HQI in our fuge chamber we have "lettuce" back there. It has worked well for us.