1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hi people

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KevinK, Jan 30, 2014.

1. KevinK

KevinK Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey everyone,

I've used this site as a resource a few times while setting up my tank, and I finally decided to register. I'm a senior at UI and I just started my tank in October of 2013. I've got a 20 gallon with 20 lbs of rock and 20 lbs of sand. The set-up is currently sumpless, but I plan to modify my stand in the next week to accomodate a 20 gallon sump with all the typical conveniences (ATO, skimmer, refugium, etc). The only creatures I have so far are 2 cerith snails, 2 blue legged hermits, and a Mexican turbo snail. Corals will be coming in around 2 weeks from now. I've linked to a couple pictures so you guys can check out my set-up (I need to get my cords organized I know) - there's not much to see yet, but I hope one day it will look as good as some of the tanks I've seen here.

Anyway, I look forward to talking with you all and learning even more from everyone here.

Kevin

http://imgur.com/a/Q3S3Q

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Nice to meet you Kevin welcome to the sight.

3. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club Kevin! Nice start on the tank.....

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Kevin, it looks like a nice start for your first tank. It will like nice once you start filling it up with coral. You'll need to make sure you hit up the frag fest coming this spring in Des Moines.

5. KevinK

KevinK Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely try to get out to Des Moines for the frag fest Lee, it looks like it's a great event.

6. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    sweet looking tank

7. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    Sweet tank what lights are those your using par 38?

8. KevinK

KevinK Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks guys. And yep, those are cheap par 38s off eBay. I ordered some royal blue LEDs of a more appropriate wavelength as well as some 20,000K cool whites, and I de-soldered and replaced most of the diodes that came with the original bulbs. Now I just need to work on making them dimmable hah.

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the site. Nice looking little setup you have going there. Be sure to check out the regional forums. We have all kinds of good stuff planned around the IC and CR area this year.