1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How long to wait before adding corals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 40g breeder has been up and running now for a total of 2.5-3 weeks. Only 1.5 weeks with fish, corals and inverts. However, for almost that entire time I've had the sump with chaeto and live rock cycling the water.

I was just wondering whether its safe to add corals from spring fest. By then, the tank will have been running for just over a month with fully live rock, good lights (2x150w MH w/ 2x36w T5), and critters. I was planning on having fun and going kinda crazy for my first "real" coral shopping spree but it occured to me that I've heard of people waiting up to 6 months before adding corals.

Does this apply to upgrades? Or just those who are starting tanks from scratch?

Also, if it is ok to add corals by then, is there a max on how many I can add at one time? Besides any spacing limits my tank has?

Any suggestions or input would be awesome! Thanks!

Kylie

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would but pry not always safe to follow me.

But honestly as long as all your levels are fine and have been holding steady should be safe.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i wouldn't see to much of an issue at springfest. i added mine to my new tank after a big move with replacing over half the water and didn't loose a whole lot. just make sure to acclimate accordingly

4. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That works! YAY! Thanks for the advice

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Kylie, Am I understanding you right? Did you put fish and corals in your tank after it had only been setup for only a week or two?? Your first two sentences indicate that. I will wait until your answer before I give further advice. If this is true I hope you have good ammonia, nitrite and Nitrate test kits and have plenty of water for water changes.

6. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If the parameters are right, and you already have coral and fish in there. I would say you are okay. Its all about the parameters.

7. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I let the tank run a week n a half before adding everything. I monitored all the parameters and have plenty of water. Not to be rude, but if you are gearing up to chew me out for going too fast, its done and over so don't worry. The tank is, although new, a HUGE improvement over the small tank they were in that was slowly crashing. Thank you for the concern though

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nope not going to chew you out at all. But before I gave you advice I wanted to know the details so I can save you a big potential disappointment. I am here to help not criticize, the clubs purpose is to help especially newer hobbyists.
    The single largest problem in new tanks is people get bad advice, usually from sales people who don't know what they are talking about or just want to sell something. There are rules in setting up new tanks that if not followed 90% of the time lead to disaster, this is why so many people get into aquariums for a few months and the leave. I want to try and help you avoid this.
    A new tank should completely cycle before adding critters. There are many factors that determine the length of time this will take, but as a rule of thumb this is 3-4 weeks in freshwater and 6-8 weeks in saltwater. This a guideline and not an absolute. It all has to do with bacteria growth and getting rid of bad substances naturally that are toxic to life, namely ammonia and Nitrite. I could explain the gory details of the cycle but many articles have already been written and to be honest I don't have time right now to go through it. Here is an article to read. Understanding this process is one of the most successful things to having a sustained environment to you animals. Many times people go by the seat of their pants here and loose everything without really knowing why. I have done this but it was 25 years ago.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article...9&aid=2657
    The things is Kylie it isn't necessarily done and over. This is a where I am truly trying to help. If there is something I don't know about your setup I apologize for going through all of this. But it sounds like this was a new tank that is only about 5 weeks old. If that is the case then it is very possible you are close to a crash. Not definitely by any means, but it is very possible, this time is very critical in your success.
    The cycle is basically fish waste to Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen. Bacteria need to grow at every stage to go to the next. If you don't have enough of the specified bacteria present the nutrient will build up quickly tom toxic levels. This is why I mentioned test kits. In a new tank to know you have completed the cycle you must know that Ammonia started raising then nitrite started raising and ammonia started going down. The nitrite goes down and nitrate goes up  Bacteria causes this cycle to go through its process and only time will cause it go through this cycle. I would not trust the products on the market that say cycle your tank in one week two many people have waken up to everything dead.
    Many people on a new tank will say "my parameters are fine". Well that is a big warning sign if supposedly everything is zero it means one of two things: Your tank hasn't begun to cycle or your test kits are hard to read and you only think they are 0. A new tank (or a cycles tank) will not have 0 levels it really isn't possible except maybe Nitrite. Ammonia and Nitrate are always present but ammonia should be VERY low almost undetectable that is critical.
    So my advice after hopefully a learning type lecture instead of criticism is to be diligent. Test these three parameters daily and forget about testing anything else for now except salinity. Watch for this cycle. If Ammonia is detectable at all do a large water change, same with nitrite. Nitrite is not as toxic to marine inhabitants as freshwater but this is still an ongoing debate. Once your nitrate levels rise this is good, it means the second nitryfying bacteria is growing and converting Nitrite into Nitrate. In a new tank you will not be able to effectively turn nitrite into nitrate so it must be removed mechanically hence the number one reason for water changes in any successful aquarium.
    My advice for spring fest is to take it VERY easy. Only get very hardy species, these aren't as exciting. Some of these are still very nice. I am afraid if you start buying the really neat SPS or LPS you are going to lose them, lose money and get very discouraged. This plays itself over and over, even with hobbyists with years of experiences.
    I hope you take this as helpful advice and not as me pointing my finger and saying "bad girl". This hobby has a HUGE learning curve and we must all stick together to help each other succeed.
    Sorry I don't have time to proof read this so I am sure there are MANY typos, I apologize.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have to agree with Joel here.

Hopefully I can get Josh to chime in here. Look for his post title too much too fast. He built a nice restaraunt tank, had the LR cycling for a couple months, and set it up. Well the paramaters lookded great for awhile & then the cycle hit & he has been struggling to keep things alive since.

Give your tank some time to mature and stabilize. It is an ecosystem after all and is very fragile.

What kind of corals are you looking to add?

I am sure you will be much happier waiting & having your stuff live. You MAY be ok with adding corals from Spring Fest, but again you may be headed for disaster.

If you wait a couple months, I will be more then happy to hook you up with a bunch of frags from my tank.

10. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I would totally wait awhile. I cycled my tank for two months before adding fish and corals....when I did it triggered a mini cycle. But since it had been up and running for so long, it was an easy problem to deal with.....

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great point that also is many times not understood. Adding fish adds Ammonia (fish waste), the  aerobic bacteria that turn ammonia into Nitrite (and nitrite to nitrate) only get to a population of their food source, ammonia (or nitrite). Any new life that is added more bacteria have to populate to handle the load. If you add too many they can't grow fast enough and the bad chemicals build up and kill.  Every time new life is added a small cycle occurs to grow the necessary bacteria to handle the new load.

12. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put fish, snails, and crabs in after my biocube was up for 3 weeks (with live sand and live rock). Corals went in on week 4.

I didn't lose anything I put in.

-Justin

13. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you guys for all the info. I'm use to other sites where as soon as one expert sees something different they completely chew me out for it n i was already having a bad night.

I'll be sure to keep watching the parameters u were talking about. I have a question though, where does the bacteria live/come from originally? If its the live rock does the amount of fish it thatwere in its previous setup determine how much bacteria got transfered to my tank? As u probably know, I work at petland so thats where I got my rock. We have our saltwater systems sort of connected into one giant super tank in which are all of our critters including the live rock. Ours isnt in a seperate tank like most places. Would this help or hurt my chances of having a major cycle? If all of my rock was previously working with a much larger bioload than it is now?

Just curious. I'll still make sure to watch my parameters. Thank u guys for the help and concern /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif

14. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Those are good questions and I will try to do them justice.
    The different bacteria live in different places. As the article states the first two conversions use aerobic meaning they need oxygen. The third is anaerobic which means it can't have oxygen around and must live deep in your sand bed or rock. Hence why getting rid of nitrate is very hard because that bacteria cant live in oxygenated environments. Therefore it dies when oxygenated water passes through it. So water changes or a de-nitrifier are needed and many times both depending on load.
    The bacteria cultures are usually seeded with live rock or sand. The questions (and usually we don't know) is how much died off in transition. This causes cycles in itself. But yes if you started with mature live rock this helps immensely but you can never know for sure how much died moving it from one environment to another. So like you are going to do you must watch very carefully.
    This portion is pretty close to an exact science while many other aspects of this hobby are still greatly evolving. Even though it is science there are still cases like Justin that don't have problems doing what many other have done and met with disaster. I am guessing either large water changes at the right times or the biocube was seeded with good bacteria to start with in live rock or live sand. Also some of the "quick start" cultures sold can help but I never recommend them as a solution only as a helper.
    I did not know you work at Petland. PLEASE be one of the LFS' employees that knows the Nitrate Cycle VERY well. This is the most important thing IMO you can teach new people. And PLEASE never let your customers go home with a new tank and fish in a bag. Tell them not to buy fish until after 4 weeks in freshwater and 6-8 weeks in saltwater maybe even giving them articles like I have cited. I guess you didn't say if you even work in the fish department. IMO LFS' do a lot of harm to their businesses because they don't give the customer good information which means in a month or two they won't be customers any more.

15. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I never send home a new tank with a fish. As I am obviously still learning saltwater, I always consult my coworkers before giving customers any suggestions. I know the freshwater side of things really well though. I always make sure they know that it will be at least, if not more, a month after they start their tank before they can start adding prize fish. Usually, I send them home with a couple tough Danios to start the tank cycle a couple days after they've set up their tank, along with a bacteria booster (which I remind them, like you have reminded me that it is only a boost, not a solution to the population). I am trying to learn as much as I can so I am a reliable source for fish keepers. I remember starting up, before I knew of any good fish sites, and relying on poor salespeople's advice from other LFS'. I've found that the guys at Petland all definitely know their stuff, but some other stores, especially chain stores, I have not had as much luck.

So, as long as everything is still going well, and I take it easy on which/how many corals I attempt to add at Spring fest, what types of corals are going to be a better choice to add to a new tank? I know I was planning on getting a hammer coral but other than that I was really just going to look for anything that catches my eye. Are hammer's very resilient corals? What are some other resilient corals?

16. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will not tell you what to do, I will give you my opinion on what I did.
    When I got my tank waited about 2 months before adding corals to it.  Most of those have been dead a long time now.
    If I was going to do this all again, I would not add any softies for at least 6 months and wait over a year before adding SPS or anything labeled moderate to difficult.
    I say this because I wasted so much money and killed so many things.  The longer your tank goes the more stable it gets.  It really does take a long time to develop good stability to a salt water tank.
    Jeremy

17. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it the bacteria populations that take so long to stabilize or something else? I wonder why it takes so long...
    Did you see any signs of stress in your corals early on? Because when I made the switch from the 20 to the 40, I transfered my corals as well: xenia, kenya tree, montipora spongodes, duncan, a few cap frags, zoos, and a couple birdsnest frags. All of them have been doing great in the new tank, improved color and already I can see a little growth in my pink birdsnest.
    What are some symptoms I should be looking for along with monitoring my parameters?

18. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have a whole frag tank full of easy sps, lps, and zoos. (everything is $5) I have monti caps, spreading montis, birdsnest, millis, trumpets, zoos, frogspawn. (All this stuff I basically got from other club members) $100 buys you 20 hard to kill frags basically.

I was a beginner two years ago and as such most of my current coral are beginner type coral and very hearty. I am going to be getting into the more exotic stuff now that my tank is ready for them (2 years later).

I'm not really trying to make a sale here. I am just pointing out you can save a lot of cash by easing into it. It doesn't hurt so bad when your $5 coral RTN's, as opposed to that $50 one you might buy at SpringFest.....Also, by easing into it you will know your tank is REALLY stable when the frags really start growing. (took awhile for me but now I have very aggressive coral growth in my tank. It is almost becoming a PITA actually to keep it all in check)

19. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

There are so many factors in establishing a tank. Your tank may be awesome right now, but if you add a few things, or wait too long for a water change, or basically screw up any number of things you can start a mini cycle and everything goes to hell for awhile. Not to mention all the other things that can just happen like pests, or massive RTN'ing, or your monitors read wrong and your salinity goes south for example. All these problems are amplified at the start but with time an established tank can fight some of theses disasters off much better than a new tank. There is no real concrete answer to your question. Keeping an awesome tank is definately a little science, a little magic, a little common sense, and a lot of work.

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By PotRoast on 04/22/2010 01:11 PM
    Keeping an awesome tank is definately a little science, a little magic, a little common sense, and a lot of work.
    +1 but I'd throw in "a little luck" unless it's covered under "magic" /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif