1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How long to wait before adding corals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me potroast. Pretty much all of the corals i have i got from you so i also have a green slimer, n two types of trumpets. Of all my corals listed, which would be a good indicator by growing well that my tank is doing especially good? U said that u have a lot of growth and good color proving u have a healthy tank. Would an sps or lps be a better indicator? Does one type, of the corals I have, require a more established tank?

2. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It is hard to put my finger on one one thing that would indicated great growth....it just kinda happens. On the caps, you should see white on the edges...that means it is growing. On the birdsnest a bunch of white tips is good. The zoos should just multiply like cockroaches when things are going good. I would get rid of your xenia and kenya tree. Those corals are bush league to be quite honest. In time they will grow like weeds and become a PITA for you. When my tank really started rocking the m.spong shot branches straight up and my duncan started multiplying....I went from 3 heads to 5 heads in 9 months, when the tank was new, then 9 to 30 in 3 months, when the tank was old.

All that being said when your tank is new everything could be going great and then you might have a mini-cycle set you back. You might not see growth for months and then once your tank stablilizes your corals grow like on steroids.

You have begineer sps corals so that is good. That green slimer should just go wild. I cut it back ALL THE TIME.

My indicator coral for good are the red and green caps. (which I don't have anymore because I am moving on...they grow super fast)
    My indicator coral for bad is usally the green birdsnest. That one seems to go south first.

Finally, I don't keep much LPS and no softies so I am kinda biased to SPS.

3. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By PotRoast on 04/22/2010 03:27 PM
    It is hard to put my finger on one one thing that would indicated great growth....it just kinda happens. On the caps, you should see white on the edges...that means it is growing. On the birdsnest a bunch of white tips is good. The zoos should just multiply like cockroaches when things are going good. I would get rid of your xenia and kenya tree. Those corals are bush league to be quite honest. In time they will grow like weeds and become a PITA for you. When my tank really started rocking the m.spong shot branches straight up and my duncan started multiplying....I went from 3 heads to 5 heads in 9 months, when the tank was new, then 9 to 30 in 3 months, when the tank was old.
    All that being said when your tank is new everything could be going great and then you might have a mini-cycle set you back. You might not see growth for months and then once your tank stablilizes your corals grow like on steroids.
    You have begineer sps corals so that is good. That green slimer should just go wild. I cut it back ALL THE TIME.
    My indicator coral for good are the red and green caps. (which I don't have anymore because I am moving on...they grow super fast)
    My indicator coral for bad is usally the green birdsnest. That one seems to go south first.
    Finally, I don't keep much LPS and no softies so I am kinda biased to SPS.
    When did the type of coral kept become a competition or status thing?  Soft corals still offer the most challenge to aquarists. 
    I would personally love to see a healthy tank with large colonies of any type of coral as opposed to "LE" corals that are a few inches tall and are pruned like Bonsai to make $$$ 

4. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to keep my xenia's. I love the movement they bring to the tank and the color. Not to mention my clown is hosting to them so that's always good also /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif

5. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After a lot of years in this hobby I have to say that what you like for your particular tank is just fine.  Nothing is wrong with liking what you like.  I never ever wanted sps corals in mine.  I love all the options and no one should think less of what someone wants in their own tanks. 
    The most imporant thing is to decide what you want and direct your efforts towards that with research and studying what your want needs. 
    There are always people that love all the tec stuff, some love the fish, some love particular corals, some love just buying everything they see, some try to have the biggest with all the expensive equipment, some have limited space but some of the nicest tanks and some want it simple but workable and enjoyable. 
    A  tank needs to be what you enjoy.  If you can't sleep at night worrying about some aspect of it...change it or get out of the hobby.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had SW tanks since 2003 and I'm still learning new things all the time about reef tanks /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif The thought of adding new things and all the possibilities is very exciting, but go slow when adding things. I've lost some nice frags and thrown money out the window because I bought something without waiting until my tank was mature. A tank will change so much in the first year........stick with a few hardy coral that you enjoy for the first 6 months or so until you see the same parameter readings over and over and over and have a set routine down. Boring, I know, but it will make for a healthy tank

7. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. I agree with all of you. I'd rather be careful now than worry later. Keeping that in mind, are hammer corals, brains, or clams very hardy?

8. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not read all the post. But waiting is good. Adding slow is great. Clams are touchy the smaller they are the more suplemental feeding they need (in my experience). Brains and hammers are hardy if given the right stuff. If you find stuff at the spring swap you want, I would get the ones you want the most and see what happens. If you see any sign of stress or dieing try to find a member in the IC area with a well established tank that can store the coral for you, and try to save them untill your tank is more mature. Your LPS coral are happy bieng fead brine or mysis. SPS coral or more a filter feeder of plankton. I live in Marion and if you do have a problem, I would be happy to help you out with your coral. I do not like to see coral die. I have had my share of lose to know it sucks and some are not cheap. I'm doing a 5k in Marion the day of spring fest, but going to try and get to Des Moines after the run. I've said it on other post and I will say it now my tank is open for you and any others that read this to come see it. I am vary happy where I am at with my tank.

Larry

9. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the offer. I'll be sure to contact you if I have any problems.

So, for the clams, will any phytoplankton mixture work? I have no problem specially feeding a clam. There is a very nice one at work I would love to have, but he is deffinitely a little guy. Only about an inch to inch n a half wide. I was talking with my coworker and he said that using a small pipette or turkey baster to squirt some phytoplankton near the clam is the best method of making sure he's getting enough food. I kind of want to start feeding all of my corals this way, at least the ones who will want it. How often should I feed a clam/corals? once a day? once a week? Is there any place/brand that has a better phytoplankton mixture than another? How long does phytoplankton last if I keep it in the fridge?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks ahead of time!!!

10. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With a new tank I would target feed 3 days a week. For the coral yes use a turkey baster and squirt it up curent from the coral and move it away or closer to see where the coral do not close up, because of it being to close. For the phyto ?????? the best person to talk to is JJtruemper.

11. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet. Thank you very much /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/hybrid//emoticons/smile.gif Gotta have happy corals

12. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been doing the water tests as you recommended and it seems I am starting to move into the second stage of the cycle. My nitrite went up to .25 n now i am up to 10 nitrates. Ammonia is still at .25 as well before my wc yesterday. I was just curious how often i can do wc's in responce to any ammobia or nitrite without shocking my system too much

13. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been doing the water tests as you recommended and it seems I am starting to move into the second stage of the cycle. My nitrite went up to .25 n now i am up to 10 nitrates. Ammonia is still at .25 as well before my wc yesterday. I was just curious how often i can do wc's in responce to any ammobia or nitrite without shocking my system too much

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    10% daily is a good rule of thumb

15. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds good. Thanks!

16. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yay! Have done wc's every day for the past three days and just did a water test and Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. Phew, I made it through the first cycle. Do you think there will be more to come or am I in the clear?