1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I`m back

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by got2lb, Jan 1, 2014.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I know a few of you know who I am but thought I'd reintroduce myself. My name is Matt and I'm from up by Waverly, north of Waterloo. Looking at getting back into the hobby after a couple year hiatus. I've been doing a little reading this last week and a few things have changed since i've had a setup so I have some more researching to do. I'll probably do a build thread and you can all see what I'm planning on doing. Hope to meet up with some of you soon.

Matt

2. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice. Welcome back.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Matt

Bout time you got a tank in that new house!

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The tanks not in the house yet. Maybe this weekend if everything goes well. Need to see if I can get my dads truck to get it home. My truck is broke down right now and will be until I can get some time and nice warm place to work on it. Pretty excited about getting a tank up and running again!

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome back Matt! It does seem like everything changed. I just got back in about a year ago myself. Hang in there and it will all start coming back to you. Here's a run down of some of the popular equipment:

Pump/wave makers:

*Vortech pumps by Ecotech Marine (MP10, MP40, MP60)

*Tunze Turbelle streams (6055, 6105, 6155,etc )

*Cheap Chineese knockoffs that look similar to tunzees but go by the name of Jebao - (WP25, WP40)

Skimmers: They now have a cone shape, but really the cone doesn't make much of an improvement IMO. Octopus Skimmers are the popular choice.

Lighting: LED's or t5. Few people run metal halides anymore... (I still prefer halides for SPS and am willing to pay more $$ in electricity & bulb replacement to run them. The popular choice is to either DIY a custom LED fixture (Maker's LED is a sponsor that sells parts) or standard fixtures such as the ones by AquaIllumination (AI Vega, AI Hydra are the latest)

Controllers: Pretty much everyone in GIRS runs the Neptune Systems "Apex" controller. These can also control certain pumps & LED fixtures.

Filtration: "BIO Pellet reactors" seem to be the latest craze as a form of carbon dosing and keeping phosphates in check. It's still common to run carbon & GFO in a reactor too. Filter socks on the overflow output to the sump are a popular mechanical filtration. Algae Scrubbers are becoming more popular as a way to harvest algae and naturally reduce phosphates/nitrates rather than running a separate refugium with macro algae. Bud @ Turbo's Aquatics (sponsor) makes/sells them.