1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

issues i have seen on this site

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by seyzar18, Jul 2, 2012.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you could explain to us why you are so offended when someone tries to encourage you to join the club then maybe would start to see your point.

Please answer these simple questions.

1) Do you think that this club operates for free?

2) If people regularly use the club resources, do you think it's reasonable that they contribute a small amount to help keep those resources available?

3) Why are you surprised/shocked/offended when someone tries to encourage you to join?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    4. Usually people are flattered when asked to join a group or club.

5. This site represents the club, doesnt it make sense to promote the club?

6. You can place ads to buy or sell for free on this site. Bandwith though is not free. Someone has to pay that bill every month. Why not do your part?

3. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have seen issues on the site but it was with the bickering of members with eachother. I have had many people here help me in the 3 months I have been on this site and not once has anyone mentioned you need to join. You seem way off base here. When you poke a bear expect to get your head knocked off. You have some axe to grind and it is clear you need to just move on. So what members are willing to help fellow members more, they have paid for that priviledge.

4. Big D Well-Known ReefKeeper

Center Point
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

+1 on that .......

5. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, for what it's worth, I've been on here a lot recently and so I decided to pony up. It's $20. Of course, now I won't be able to get my Maxi-Jet magnet mounting thingy. Darn club...;-)

6. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm just going to help out a bit:
    seyzar18 said: Ha ha! Look at you guys saying I shouldn't ***** when something is free. You obviously don't see the point to all this. If you guys didn't try to push non-members into becoming members, it would be a lot better for this page (reasoning unclear). Some people dont even think about joining and remain non-members because they feel pressured into joining. If you guys want to keep thinking it (unclear pronoun reference) doesn't happen, go for it. I'm a non-member for the reasons stated above and many of you think I'm saying this **** and complaining about it for no reason.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anytime you have a couple hundred distinct personalities using a public forum, you're going to have some bickering.   I'm a firm believer that ours is actually pretty tame compared to others with similar traffic.
    And I think you're right.   The issue about people somehow being "pressured" to join is just complete BS.     I think there's probably some other underlying agenda at play here.  I've asked a couple time now why it is so offensive to be encouraged to join/support the club and have yet to receive an answer..

8. MillerTime Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I just got back into the hobby(still setting up my tank) and the first thing I did was become a member. All the information and help you can find on this site from locals is well worth the very small membership fee of $20. I'd like to become more involved eventually, but for now just the access to this site is well worth the dues. If it wasnt for the people I have met over the years and knowledge shared I probably would have lost a lot more than the $20 by doing things incorrectly.

9. ThyRaven

ThyRaven Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Someone must not know club members get discounts like 10% off orders at AC&C and other vendors whom support the site. I might have made it a month as a non-member but with the ton of info on here the buy and sell forums and those generous people that helped me start my 55 deserved credit and commitment by showing support for the club. BTW where do we go to check when our membership expires?

back to the subject at hand, you need to get your head on straight. Nothing in life is free, but 90% of this site is! If you are happy with only getting 90% of the features then shut up about it. Now when you ask and question or need help dont expect us all to jump off our couches and reply to it. Yes and I totally agree that paying members get responses first well because they show there support for the club. and yes threads do go missing. We have anywhere from 6 to 9 posts per hour.

10. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    If you have an issue with your apex that you can't solve with the new users guide, then go to reef central Neptune Systems sponsor forum.

Honestly, you should have asked there first. It is the best place to go for that kind of info.

11. FRGNCC

FRGNCC Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    $20 is not a big deal for a year even if you are broke. Half of the people that complain about the price probably go drop $100 at Texas Road House once a week. I'm a new member to the site and enjoy reading the posts. We should be thankful to the people who started the site. This site should be a positive experience.

12. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    + 2 on that. Well said.

13. seyzar18

seyzar18 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lmfao here it goes everyone is changing the subject and now talking about money, If any of you knew me you would know money is definately not a issue but obviously, and to thyravens comment, i think you need to get your head on right because you have no idea wtf im even talking about. I dont care that its free what im doing and if i wanted to become a member i would because like i just said money is not a issue especially 20 dollars a year so i think you need to shut up and try to realize what im talking about before you go and say all that **** to me..

14. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    No offense but do you even know what your talking about? This thread has gone from clue less to lost. What is it you'd like out of this? What's the point your trying to make? If there's no point to what your trying to get across im lost at what it is you want from all this.

My view on member/ non member issues. Will i help a member over a non member. No,but i will more than likely go out of my way to accommodate a member.

Do i think that this site gives to much? Oh you damn right i do, its the same people whining about what they aren't getting for free that are standing at the mailbox on the first and complaining there aren't jobs in America.....burger king is always hiring

15. chappy1

chappy1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Xroads ur professionalism on the 1st page of this topic makes me not want to be a customer at ur shop. I may not be a member however Im still a customer. Much like you said I guess seyzar18 can go to reef central, just as much as he can go somewhere else to buy fish and corals. Being a business owner you should know better. To stay positive about you though, You have helped me alot with questions I have had, and your employees are very helpful also. I just saying remember if a non member looks at this page and debates joining and sees how someone post it might make their decision. I recently seen some bad post about Hung, and i for one trust him. But yet other business owners bad mouth him.

16. seyzar18

seyzar18 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOW again i have to state my point because people dont know how to read......... AGAIN my whole point to this is because of people like you glaspie, theres non members that join this site all the time and before some of them become members they look around and see whats all there before they pay the 20 dollars to join to see if its even worth it and when a member posts on something a non member makes and they say if they joined they would get more help/free help etc..etc..etc... Think of it this way, say you wanted to join at a Coscos or Sams Club and you went in to walk around and see what all they had and you saw a non member ask a team member if they had something and the team member said if you joined i would give you more help and show you where its at.. Would you pay the Money to become part of Coscos or Sams Club?????? With Glaspie saying that they wouldnt help a non member that right there MAKES MY POINT... but obviously you cant see that even after i say it a bunch of times....
    When a non member comes in here and is thinking about joining and they click on a non members post and they see people saying "if you joined you would get more help" do you think thats really going to make that non member want to join if they are seeing other people being treated like that? THIS SITE IS ABOUT THE HOBBY AND IF EVERYONE WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP EVERYONE OUT THIS HOBBY WOULD BE AWESOME AND I GUARANTEE THERE WOULD BE A HELL OF ALOT MORE PEOPLE JOINING THIS SITE..... but keep your stupid comments coming about how i cant afford the 20 dollars and how im just taking advantage of the site becaues it has a free option and you can serf the site and take advantage of everyone else that pays for this site.... I love that comment because thats yet another comment that makes me not want to join and it makes me want to be a free NON PAYING MEMBER for a long time and take advantage of it even more because im a cheap ***....... MUHAHAHAHA +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

17. seyzar18

seyzar18 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have also been on this site for along time and dont get me wrong i have got alot of help from alot of people and met some cool people from here and i would join but im not going to because everytime i think about joining i see something about non members being here.. and glaspie just proved my point when they said if it was a non member they wouldnt help them out at all.. Thanks well said glaspie +1 lol

18. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Galspie said.  "My view on member/ non member issues. Will i help a
    member over a non member. No,but i will more than likely go out of my
    way to accommodate a member."
    I agree I think he made a very valid point.

19. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Where did he say that he wouldn't help out a non member out at all? Unless I've gone blind, he said he would be more likely to go out of his way to accommadate a member. And why the hell wouldn't he? If someone has paid their dues to be a member, and help keep the site running, so people to keep using it to help each other and be a part of the hobby, I'd be more inclined to help them as well. Will I still help a nonmember? Absolutely, If I have any sort of answer to help them with the topic at hand. I think you've done enough damage in these threads though, and you're better off just stopping now. I can tell you, and you can quote me, that I will never help you with anything after how you've acted towards the site, and its members. That's for damn sure.

20. seyzar18

seyzar18 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mxc207 congrats. Im glad you wont help me.. ask me if i feel bad now?? "answer" NOPE sorry im pretty sure i wont lose any sleep over you not wanting to help me now because i brought up a opinion about this site.... and thats FOR DAMN SURE!!