1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

JBs Calcium Reactor DIY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B-Rad, Jan 8, 2009.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Down the road I would upgrade that Maxijet to something like an eheim pump.

Ca RX is to critical of a piece of equipment to trust to a cheap poerhead. Once you get a tank running well on a CA RX and it goes down you will most likely have large parameter swings.
    Just a thought...

Bill

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bill, I'm talking about the feed pump that feeds water from the tank. not the main pump on the unit. The main pump will be an Eheim.

-JB

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 01/15/2009 07:57 PM
    Ok, so I received all of the C02 stuff today. I ended up getting a MaxiJet 400 as the feed pump. The one thing that I haven't figure out yet is what I need to get in order to connect the maxi-jet feed pump to the CA reactor. Any suggestions Rick?
    Also, I was going to ask you about the pH probe holder. Is that the tube that goes up in the middle? Do I need anything in particular to hook up the PH probe?
    Thanks!
    -JB
    Awesome,
    Ok I wasn't sure what you were going to use for the feed pump so I put a 1/4 speed fitting on it, but that can be changed out no problem. You can just put a hose bard on it and hock it to the pump with that.
    I know that you regulate the flow with a valve on the out put line, the only thing that I'm not 100% sure on is if you will need to tee off the feed line. (so you wont dead head the Maxi Jet).
    One other thing is to make sure you have a small check valve for the CO2 line so that water cant back feed into the regulator.
    Yes, On top of the 6" chamber tubing is were your PH probe will go. I had to put it there instead of on the the lid, there was not enough room.
    Just put the probe in the holder and tighten it up thats it!  
    Sounds like your all ready to go..
    I'll be there around 1:00 to go over everything with you. ( or earlier if you want me to, up to you ).
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    -Rick-

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Here's the bad boy all hooked up and working...
    [​IMG]
    I ended up using a MaxiJet 600 as the feed pump.   I built a little adaptor that hooks hooks to the MaxiJet with 3/8" ID tubing on one side and connects to 1/4" OD line on the other side.   I added a check valve to the 1/4" OD run to prevent back-flow from the reactor into the sump.
    I used 3/8" ID tubing to connect to the Eheim 1048 and 3/8" - 1/2" threaded adaptors to connect to the reactor. 
    I've got the bubble count set at ~10 bubbles per minute and the effluent drip set at ~40 drops per minute.   The pH is slowly dropping to a target value of 6.8 (where the AC3 will cutoff the flow of C02).
    Thank's again B-Rad.  This thing is GREAT!

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Awesome!!

Glad to see you got it all up and running, let me know how well it works for you ,and if there is anything that I might want to change for the next one.

I have a feeling I'll be making a few of these!!![​IMG]
    -Rick-

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The only minor issue that I've had with it is that it was tough to get the tops to do a water tight seal. I really had to crank them down and I was concerned because I didn't want to break off the tops...

-JB

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Status Update:

It took a while but I think I have it pretty close to being tuned right. My dKH is staying at 9 and my CA is at 420 and I haven't dosed anything for over a week. Previously, I would have to dose every day to stay at those levels.

I've found that I had to have my bubble count and effluent drip considerably higher than what the CA reactor "starter guides" were recommending in order to keep those levels.

My pH is swinging daily between 8.1 when the lights are on and 7.7 when the lights are off. This is a little lower than I'd like, but it should go up when I get some more Kalk for topoff.

So, once again, Thanks Brad! You're design is working great.

-JB

P.S. You have any thoughs on a good design for a DIY Kalk stirrer?

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your welcome JB!!!!

Glad everything is working for you. Did you say you were dosing with kalk? are you still? Do you have a kalk stirrer hooked up to your auto top off? or do you just dose as needed?
    I built one for my self and it works pretty good. tied it to my auto top off.  Didn't cost much, I can build one for ya if you'd like?
    I monitored my PH  after the lights go out and as the PH starts to fall the auto top off kicks in and brings it back up.

Thanks for the frags, they are finely in the display tank,[​IMG][​IMG] now I just need to get them in their final resting spots,[​IMG] Its hard to picture it in 1, 2, 5,.... years, as to how everything will grow out.
    Maybe I can get in on the tank tour this year, so we can watch the progress...
    Let me know on the kalk stirrer I may be able to build ya one befor the 28th.
    I'll be up the 28th see ya there!!!
    -Rick-

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Brad,

I'm running all my auto-topoff water through my current DIY Kalk reactor. Unfortunately, it's dependent on a powerhead, so it doesn't do a very good job of stirring unless there is a ton of kalk in it, so I'm thinking about replacing it with something a little more effective.

The CA reactor works great, but I need the Kalk to keep my pH up in the right range.

-JB

10. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unless your pH is dipping below 7.7or 7.6 in the low part of the cycle I wouldnt even worry about it...pH is not a critical factor like alk is.

Kalk reactors with CA reactors is in my opinion not needed. having both just complicates things as Kalk is also adding calcium which in turn makes it difficult to maintain an ionic balance.
    Your tank will be fine with a pH of 7.8 to 8.0 or so.

Just a thought

eins

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's good to know Bill.

My current concern is that it's dropping down to just at 7.7 nightly. If it was 7.8, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Before I had the reactor tuned right, it was dropping down to just below 7.6 and that really had me concerned.

-JB

12. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine gets that low and I never have a problem...I essentially ignore pH now...

ALK is the critical factor for SPS's

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Now it's not dipping much below 7.8.  You can see it's really started to stabilize over the last couple days...
    -JB
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/tank-ph.gif

14. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thought I would bring this to the for front.[​IMG]
    For those of you who haven't seen this post this is what we will be building at the I/C-Q/C-DIY-Tank tour-BBQ, on the 27th![​IMG][​IMG]
    Just want to add that there will some other DIY stuff as well.