1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Jumping Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fence13, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    So I've had an epidemic this week of fish committing suicide. First, one of my fairy wrasses and now in a separate tank my fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

The top of my tank has a square of DIY window frame with 1/4" bird netting mesh on it and then (because my tank isn't drilled) I use eggcrate to seal out the unusual shape of the rest of the top. This is the same format I've had on both big tanks and it has worked fine for years (save a tiny mystery wrasse that committed suicide a year ago).

The fairy wrasse that recently jumped out, made it either through a small gap between the return pipe and eggcrate, or through the 1/4" mesh. He was only about 2-3" long so it's possible as they aren't fat fish. This one landed on the floor.

The lionfish jumped up with enough force to pop the loose eggcrate out and landed on top of the mesh tank top. This is, unfortunately where it died as it was unable to get back in the water.

Is there anything that I could be doing differently? Or is it just bad luck that it's happened twice in a week?

I should state that I do not want to use a a glass top cover.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like some bad luck.
    Wrasses can slip through some small holes, so if you can close up the gaps even tighter it would be better. I haven't yet found a way to train them not to jump.

3. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Trian them like shamu to jump up catch a pellet and go back in the water that would be awesome.

I have a glass top on mone and the one day i didnt close my lid my longnose hawkfish jumped out in the night it sucks man. My dad had a blond naso tang jump out of his 220 before.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I had eggcrate around plumbing on a seaswirl then the screen top covering the rest of the tank. I had several little wrasse and a midas blenny escape around that eggcrate and plumbing. I eventually pulled the seaswirl out so I could run the screen covering the entire top again. I had always planned to cut an acrylic piece wide enough to go past the plumbing and keep it tight to the pipe, but decided it wasn't worth it. Powerheads in a couple spots worked better for flow anyway.
    Now they just jump into my overflow and bounce off the screens.

5. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like my problem, but a cut piece of acrylic seems like an interesting idea

6. AquariumAddictions

AquariumAddictions Inactive User

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Or place something with a bit of weight to it on top of the egg crate to keep them from pushing it up. Strong little buggers!