1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lets help out petland @Jordan Creek

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xmasia, Feb 28, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mike at Pet's Playhouse in Cedar Rapids claims that saltwater is growing faster than freshwater and I believe him.   I know that when I walk into the shops around here the saltwater sections are never empty.   I can't imagine that it's any different in a town like Des Moines that's considerably larger.
    -JB

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    true. i had thought about looking into starting one in pella, its not a large town but has plenty of towns around it and 2 are college towns and has pella corp and vermeer. There is no decent fish shop very local for anyone around here. kind of sucks. Petland is a nice store and always seems to be clean and well staffed when i have been there. If they had knowledgeable people in the SW department it could work well. but they have to make sure they have trained personel for that area. That is the main thing that will hinder the success of it.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I plan on stopping at the local shops later next week with Austin to gain interest in the frag swap. Maybe they would be interested in a table to promote what they are trying to do.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 03/01/2009 07:07 PM
    I plan on stopping at the local shops later next week with Austin to gain interest in the frag swap. Maybe they would be interested in a table to promote what they are trying to do.
    Thats an interesting idea...  maybe another chance for a local business to provide some benefit to GIRS members since it seems to be a tough sell in the DSM area to the other stores.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yup, we are planning on inviting all the local shops if they will "truly" display the banner and business cards.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By dewdad on 03/01/2009 01:30 PM
    Just curious. Back to the fish topic, I would just like to see more options in the area when it comes to marine fish. I think Petland has learned their lesson and I am thrilled that they are looking in to providing a larger seleciton of marine fish and supplies. I am getting tired of ordering everything through catalogues.
    For what its worth, I think IPF's fish have actually been looking pretty healthy every time I have been in there lately.  I don't know if their new holding system has made a dramatic improvement or if it is just coincidence.  I bought livestock from them for the first time in a long time the other week.  They had a couple of H. Magnicas in there that were in good shape (as far as H. Mags go) and I just couldn't pass up taking a gamble on one.  They had a couple of cool looking wrasses and sunburst anthias as well.

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    So how did the Mag anemone go, got any pics

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG] I could take pics, but based on my skills (and camera) you wouldn't be able to tell whether it is a condy or a ritteri.  It is eating and coloring up a little bit.  The mouth has tightened on it.  The biggest thing that is concerning me about it is that it hasn't settled down yet.  I put it right underneath the halides on top of a rock pile but it has just wandered around that pile.  The rock has kind of a hollow spot in the center that I thought would be perfect for burrowing its foot into but, so far, no dice.

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By DSMClown on 03/02/2009 11:04 AM

Posted By dewdad on 03/01/2009 01:30 PM
    Just curious. Back to the fish topic, I would just like to see more options in the area when it comes to marine fish. I think Petland has learned their lesson and I am thrilled that they are looking in to providing a larger seleciton of marine fish and supplies. I am getting tired of ordering everything through catalogues.
    For what its worth, I think IPF's fish have actually been looking pretty healthy every time I have been in there lately.  I don't know if their new holding system has made a dramatic improvement or if it is just coincidence.  I bought livestock from them for the first time in a long time the other week.  They had a couple of H. Magnicas in there that were in good shape (as far as H. Mags go) and I just couldn't pass up taking a gamble on one.  They had a couple of cool looking wrasses and sunburst anthias as well.
    The new system may have helped but it can still be hit or miss, I bought a great looking Powder Blue from IPF...  he was a little thin in the store but ate when they fed him.  So far he has been doing very well in my tank have had him about three months and he is eating faster than I can feed him.  That said I am still looking for more fish and stop by IPF weekly, I have seen some sad looking fish in the new system as well was there this Sunday and it seemed they all were looking quite nice but you never know next week.

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not a petland fan either. Too bad because I'm just down the street from there.