1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Looking for thoughts on my next project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill Liebbe, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    I have a 55 long that I am looking to start a project with. My wife wants seahorses and I know they require lower flow so as not to be blown all over the tank. Myself I want a frag tank specifically for Zoas and Pallys. What I am wondering is can I combine this into the one tank? I'm thinking a row of live rock in the back with holes drilled for frag plugs, and the foreground setup with things like sea fans for the horses to hitch to. I could then direct the flow primarily across the coral in the back leaving lower flow in the foreground for the ponies. The sump would have a refugium for growing pods. I did a little research and found that mandarins go well with horses and would add them to the mix also.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Bill

2. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I have been wanting a seahorse tank for a while, but just never can commit to it. I think that plan sounds pretty reasonable with zoas and pallys. What temp will you run? I remember people like keeping them at lower temps for bacterial infections. I have been curious about carbon dosing with seahorses too for nutrient reduction. Seems counter intuitive to keep lower temps to limit bacteria, but then to dose carbon to increase bacteria, but most ppl don't report increased pathogens with carbon dosing and they might even out compete pathogens. Sounds like you will use macro for nutrients? A scrubber might be good for them too.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    From what I hear, unless they are converted to frozen food, the only way to really keep them is to have a gigantic fuge full of pods that gravity drains into the main tank so they have a constant supply of food.

There are a few people on here who have bred them and raised them. Also Kirk at Central Campus, they have bred and raised and I think even converted the babies to frozen foods.

I know you can mix certain corals, and I think it's a bit of a misnomer about the ultra low flow.

4. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    SO you can do seahorses in a reef tank with moderate flow?

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Dunno. Google it, or find a seahorse supplier/vendor and ask them

6. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Those are all good points made above. Another thing to consider is the dimensions of your tank. Seahorses enjoy depth and floating up and down in a water column, so if your tank is rather shallow it might not be the most ideal setup for them. Not saying its not possible or anything, just not necessarily ideal.

7. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    That should work having both corals and seahorses together. The only problem I see is you will not have optimal coral growth. Most corals do best at 76 degrees and if i remember correctly seahorses should be kept in a water that is 67 degrees. With a seahorse tank you also need to do weekly water changes since you cannot have a high flow in the tank to kick everything from the bottom up to get filtered out. Also the other problem from what iv noticed is that corals thrive in semi dirty water. So doing weekly changes you will have a fairly clean tank. I purchases a biocube with intentions of making it a seahorse tank just haven't gotten that far to get it up and going. You would need a chiller and get some seahorses that are fed frozen food. People have a feeding station in the tank where they let the thawed frozen food fall down into. Then seahorses eat out of that without the food flying around the tank. Since they are so slow they cannot compete with other fish so all the tanks iv seen are species only tanks. Hope I helped any other questions just ask. I don't know a ton about them since I do not have the tank up and going. That is just what i learned from the research iv done on them.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    IMO

Really bad idea.

Corals need flow, period. And there is no way to get good strong flow to just part of a tank, it just doesnt work that way.

I havent heard of a 55 long, what are the dimensions?

A mandarin and seahorses DO NOT go well together. It is very hard to keep a mandarin supplied with enough pods and live foods. Seahorses eat the same thing, so how are you going to keep them both alive and healthy?

Seahorses likes cooler water, corals do not.

Do a ton of research on seahorses, and see where that takes you.

9. christy

christy New User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a 29g biocube with seahorses and corals. My horses actually prefer warmer temps and we keep the tank around 76-78. I have a few zoas and sponges and a sun coral in the tank as well. I have had the tank close to 2 years and all are doing well.

Attached Files:

10. violet21chewy Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines area
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I have never tried sea horses but I did read that it is easy to introduce hydroids if you keep coral and hydroids are supposed to bad for sea horses. Not sure the effect of them on full size seahorses or if it affects the dwarfs more. Very cool if you keep them though. I never attempted since they seem like a lot more work. Would hate it if they starved.