1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

MARCH IC/CR FOOD DIY EVENT UPDATE

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Kpotter2, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When I get home for the day I will post who all needs to pick up there bags.

Thanks
    KP

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

Sorry man, no extra food unless someone doesn't come pick up the bags they requested. I got 5 bags, I could probably spare one for you.

We only ended up with a few extra bags after everyone on the original list was taken care of. Those were bought by people at the event that wanted more. I think we got 62 bags out of the mix.

3. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

OK here are the people that need to make arrangements to pick up there food. Payment can be made strait to the club using Paypal or Cash to me. My number is 3193315221 please text first or call and leave a message.

BobFish +2

gburkart +1

kschrobi +2

klmule +2

TimT +4

ReefMan + 3

Total of 14 bags /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

Thanks

Kyle P

4. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

DM may have some extra. Contact Turbo!

KP

5. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    I could spare one

6. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i'll text ya tomorrow to get mine.thanks

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok CR DIY Food group, here is the deal

The Des Moines group ended up with about 70 bags, but CR only came out to 57, which is 13 pounds difference. After going over the numbers with Kyle and weighing the 15 bags that he had (his + non-attendee bags) we figured out that the bags got over-filled. This verified my spreadsheet calculation that came out to an average of over 19oz per bag. In contrast I weighed the 10 bags I have from the DSM group and they averaged out right at 16oz each.

It's not a big deal and there is no one really to blame, I know how it gets with many people involved and 3 hours off the clock. The primary goal is that the event is break-even - 50% of the cost accounted for by each region. In order for this to work out given the number of bags made, the CR bag prices need to increase to cover the discrepancy.

For people who attended, the cost will need to be $12/bag and for non-attendees it will be $18/bag. The bags are more per bag on average so Kyle and I felt there should not be any problem requesting this.

The supplies for these 2 events has all been paid for up front by the club, any excess would have gone toward additional equipment for future food events or given away but that would have been the 'gravy' if it worked out that way. We can take care of that the next time around, as I have already made a connection for a potentially better seafood supplier.

If anyone has any questions, you can contact me or Kyle and we will be happy to discuss it with you.

8. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Thanks bud!

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I had 5 I weighed last night and I would say you are right on with the average. I got 18-19 for almost all of mine.

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

I also did this with 2 bags of my food. Nice convienent cubes. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

/Portals/0/IMG_20140302_130319_383.jpg

11. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Were did you get the cube trays? I was going to just cut mine up in cube. This idea rock

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  12. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Were did you buy them?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

got them on amazon. Put the food in yesterday and froze it overnight. Set the bottom of the trays in some warm water for a couple minutes and the food came right out of the tray in perfect cubes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&psc=1

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I just flatten the pack out, lay about 2-3 of them on top of a piece of cardboard and repeat, I have stacked over a dozen this way. Freeze, then when ready to use just peel the bag off & throw it away, lay food block on a cutting board and use a big long knife and just press down until it pushes through, cut into strips, then cut strips into cubes and re-bag.

When we did this in the quart bags it was harder to cut up, because the food was upward of1/2" thick. The thinner flat packs will be much easier to cube up. Plus they will melt/dissolve in the tank better/faster

15. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is how I did my DIY BeefHeart mix in the old days. Just cut it up into squares and put into another bag. It worked great, but I like the idea of having the cube trays too.

KP

16. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i will get the money to ya and grab mine tomorrow.ended up busy today.thanks everyone.

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No Problem!

KP

18. Candi G

Candi G

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I cubed mine in a egg crate worked good. Send me a link to the paypal and I will pay the extra for my food. I got 3 bags. Thanks

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

^^ paypal instructions

20. Candi G

Candi G

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The link is not working for me