1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

MARCH IC/CR FOOD DIY EVENT

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Kpotter2, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The price for food will be 10 dollars for people that come and help make the food. It will be 15 dollars for the people who are not able to attend and help. Please post if you will be able to attend and help. This is going to be a great event..

Thanks everyone

Kyle Potter

We will need

Drills

Knives (for cutting up Octopus and Squid)

New clean Buckets(5gals at least) I will find out more once DM area does there event this weekend.

Bowls

Cutting boards

Food Processors

Will need Fresh R/O Water( I will bring a few buckets myself, but a few more will not be a bad Idea)

I will add more once I know more about the process

Thanks

KP

2. Bigkel

Bigkel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can bring a couple off knives, a drill and a couple of buckets with rodi water.

3. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kyle
    I have the buckets . I will know by Wed. If I have to work...Otherwise I will bring them by your house this week.

4. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I can bring knives and another drill if needed

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Are we getting the paddle mixer that Des Moines uses? Probably going to want a big heavy duty electric corded drill to run that.

I can bring another food processor.

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I am waiting to see after today's DM DIY to see what all we will be getting from them.
    Yes we will need a corded drill and dry wall paddle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  7. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i have a drywall paddle and drill.lol thats what i use for work,but your more than welcome to use it.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

I don't know that we want a used drywall paddle. Des Moines bought one specifically for the DIY food. If we are not borrowing theirs I think we (the club) can probably just purchase one to use in this area.

9. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I also have a drywall paddle thats neverbbeen used for anything except saltwater when I set up my tank and I have a big Milwaukee mixing drill I use to mix morter when I set tile that I can bring

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yes you are correct David. We will be buying some of what we need if we don't get it from DM Group. I will post a list today or tomorrow for what we for sure will need. I just posted a few things I know we will need no mater what.

Anything that comes in contact with the Seafood will have to be clean used or new. I am also going to get a break down on the process on how to make it all. I have made DIY food for freshwater, but never Saltwater. I understand the basic process, but the Octopus and Squid will be new to me. lol

KP

11. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also have a clean drywall Paddle if all else fails.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I will be passing on:

20g keg tub (club)
    Food processor (club)
    2 plastic colanders (club)
    1 large net (mine)
    5 small measuring cups (club)
    S set of spatulas (club)
    1 drywall mud mixing paddle (club)
    2 digital scales (1 club, 1 mine)
    Several 1g pails for various uses (club)

I also have an additional food processor that I will pass along just in case (always good to have more) as long as I get it back. I'll also throw in some micro-fiber cloths for various cleanup use.

Really the main thing people will need to bring is cutting boards and knives

It also helps to have a lot of table space, Reefified will there be space for setting up extra tables? How many sinks are available for thawing food? Some of the thawing can start first thing in the morning in the 20g keg tub.

I'm going to be sending Kyle the updated step-by-step guide, which I've already made a few improvements to after yesterday.

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sweet. Thanks for the help Bud.

I don't think we'll do it in the record time the Des Moines crew does it now, but it should be a fun meeting.

14. Bigkel

Bigkel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a cutting board I'll be bringing to.

15. Chlora Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Stronghurst, IL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Would you mind sending me the step by step procedures. The Burlington region is going to set a date for doing a DIY food also and since I have never done it would be a big help. Also any info on how the whole process is for buying food and such for the regions would be a big help. I wanted to try and make the Des Moines region but to far to drive for the starting time and I can't make CR due to our first regional meeting that day. I plan on posting a thread for getting info from others on the whole process but not sure where to post other then the club business forum.

16. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Chlora we will pass it on one way or another.

KP

17. Chlora Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Stronghurst, IL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. Need all the info we can get. With all of us being newbies to GIRS not sure how the process works for this type of event or even a recipe and supplies needed, lol. We are all looking forward to doing this event for our region and will be setting a date Sat. At our first regional meeting.

18. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Good evening everyone,

Its getting close and I can't wait to work with you all. Looks like we have 11 confirmed to come help make this Reef food.

Event: DIY Reef food making

Time: 11am

We will be ordering pizza also if everyone wants to. A drink of your choice is welcome and Leaded or unleaded. We are thinking it maybe Mandatory to have leaded on hand. lol

Tickyty-Cutting Board, Food Processor and Knives

BigKel-Cutting Board, Knives and 3 buckets of R/O water for rinsing.

tbraz-Knives,Drill and Dry wall paddle. Is the paddle new?

blackxrunner- Food Processor. This will be the 3rd one, but I think bring it just in case..

gburkart-?

Reefified-Hosting

Lee-?

Lilnicky-

incuplayer-

HarlyHawk-

ShaneP-

I think we need to have a good corded drill for the mixing of the 20gal beer keg tub of food. If you have one please just bring it in case we need to use it. If I have missed you on the helpers list or if you plan to bring something and I didn't get it on here please let me know.

The list below is what we are getting from Bud in DM. I plan on there being a chopping and cutting crew, Food processor crew and thawing crew. We will also have a mixing crew.

I have done this before in little batches, but the large batches and the fact we are working with Squid and Octopus is interesting to me.

20g keg tub (club)

Food processor (club)

2 plastic colanders (club)

1 large net (mine)

5 small measuring cups (club)

S set of spatulas (club)

1 drywall mud mixing paddle (club)

2 digital scales (1 club, 1 mine)

Several 1g pails for various uses (club)

I also have an additional food processor that I will pass along just in case (always good to have more) as long as I get it back. I'll also throw in some micro-fiber cloths for various cleanup use.

Really the main thing people will need to bring is cutting boards and knives

It also helps to have a lot of table space, Reefified will there be space for setting up extra tables? How many sinks are available for thawing food? Some of the thawing can start first thing in the morning in the 20g keg tub.

See you all there and for those people that have ordered food and will not be able to help I will post an updated list and will get a time for pickup scheduled soon after.

Thanks everyone!

KP

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
  19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I talked to Herman, and he was planning on coming as well.

20. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    OK thanks for heads up. I will update list.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015