1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Melanurus Wrasse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jstngates, Dec 9, 2015.

1. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Does anyone have one of these? I'm debating what tank to put him in. I've read they like to eat shrimp.

2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    My son had one and it did not eat shrimp but when it was a year or two old it started eating his snails.

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Never had an issue with them. I have One in each of my big tanks with shrimp

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think the shrimp that they are known to eat is mysid shrimp, which are very small. I kept many with peppermint shrimp and never seen them mess with them.

Great fish

5. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Exotic in Pleasant Hill has decent price ones. Last I seen he had two in stalk that where healthy and eating prepared foods. I purchased one few months back. I have 2 skunks, 1 scarlet and 5 peppermints in my 225. He hasn't touched my shrimp, but has destroyed my baby snail population. This was actually the reason I purchased him was to rid the baby snails as they caused my zoa colonies to close up half the time. Also has other benefits as it east nudis and other coral pest. I won't have another reef tank without another one. Downfall is in a small tank they could out eat a mandrin...

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I to have never had a problem with mine.

7. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have had one in every tank I have ever had and won't own a tank without one. I of course dip all my frags....but they provide that extra "safety net" in case something slips through. Best bang for your buck when it comes to looks and color too imo. A male in a tank is just stunning!